Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: DIY Wedding Tips

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Whoever made up those vows knew what they were doing to include for richer, for poorer. Weddings cost a lot of money. Flowers, invitations, programs, favors, food, photographers...it all adds up. Big time. But there is a new trend that I have a feeling will be sticking around. When many brides and grooms (and those helping them) plan their big day, they're opting for a do-it-yourself mentality that saves money and results in some pretty awesome creations. Scouring wedding blogs and, of course, Pinterest, I found some great tips on some of these DIY wedding ideas.

-- Invest in a good printer. This is key to many of the DIY ideas I saw. The cost of the printer is still vastly cheaper than shelling out moolah for programs, placecards, menus, and so on (and you can use that printer after the wedding too...for birth announcements!). Grab some free wedding fonts online, get some good card stock and create some of these fabulous printed items for your wedding.

-- Think bulk. Many online places you can buy bulk items like frames of various sizes. Perfect for displaying the menu or table numbers or what have you (that you printed yourself, natch). Buy gobs of bowls and vases for centerpieces and other items to have around for tables and decor. Or check out sites where you can snag things for your welcome bags or favors. Totes, boxes, water bottles, anything can be purchased a pretty steep discount when you buy a certain number or more.

-- Head to the flower market. Flowers are often a huge chunk of the wedding budget, but you can cut that by half (if not more) if you do it yourself. Pick flowers that will be in season and keep it simple with all of the same color or category. With a piece of satin, create easy, yet chic bouquets for you or your bridesmaids. 

Do you love DIY stuff? What did you make for your wedding?

©iStockphoto.com/ raywoo

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
THANK YOU for not mentioning a DIY photographer/photography!!
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Good tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Tyvm for the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chillemi78
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Even if you aren't sure of printing stuff out, craft stores and even office supply stores, like Staples, have kits. Its still saving a ton of money.
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM
We did everything except the flowers & food ourselves
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

i do like diy.  didn't do anything for my wedding though since i didn't have one.  hubby & i got married at the courthouse.  we did have a "reception/meet the family" party a couple of months after we got married (went to ohio so my family & friends could meet hubby & our daughter)  i did make those invites.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I made my own invites. One of my coworkers put together wildflowers in mason jars for a rural wedding, and it was really beautiful. 

alf2651
by Amanda on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Thank you for the ideas. DH and I eloped, but we'd like to have an actual ceremony sometime. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I do, but I don't have much time for DIY anymore. I did not DIY anything for my wedding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)