Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

summer fun from a to z

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

art  have fun & bring out the artist in the kids & you.  break out the sidewalk chalk, finger paints to paint rocks/stepping stones.  stores like home depot, lowe's, joann's often have free crafts for kids

baseball, it is america's national pastime after all

camp out.  no rv, can't make it to a state park or you've never been.  don't worry start off small with spending a night under the stars in your back yard.

drive-in movies, fun family experience.  around me we also have dive-in movies (some of the city pools with have movie night by the pool)

entertain.  have a neighborhood block party.  invite some friends over for a cook-out.  the kids have fun playing outside & the grown-ups can enjoy some adult conversation.

festivals.  most cities & towns have at least one during the summer, many are free.  go check them out!

garden.  even if you don't have the outdoor space you can always try a little window herb garden.  great way to get kids to eat their veggies too, seeing it go from seed to something they can eat often peaks their interest to give it a try again.

hiking, take a hike out in the woods.  pack some binoculars, perhaps a hiking guide of plants & birds & explore the woods around you.  don't forget the water, snacks & bug spray.

ice cream.  make your own, try out a new shop in town or even a new flavor from the store

jump rope, break out that old nemesis & see if you still have skills.  teach the kids some of the rhymes you said as a kid.

kick the can & other old games.  teach your kids some of your favorite outdoor games from childhood.  ghosts in the graveyard, red light-green light, etc.

lemonade stand.  what kid doesn't like money.  helping them with a lemonade (or koolaid) stand is a good way to teach them about money while having fun.

museums.  museums are a great way to beat the heat in the summer while keeping the kids learning in a fun way.

national parks, our nation is filled with them.  plan a trip to explore one.  can't travel far?  start with a state park you've never been to.

outside, make sure kids & parents get out & enjoy the sun!

picnics, visit a local park or simple your backyard, have some food & fun.  don't forget the frisbee & bug spray.

quilt, start a family quilt with favorite t-shirts to worn to wear anymore

read, visit a library, let the kids enjoy some "non-required" reading.  many libraries also have family programs throughout the summer.

swim, don't need to say much about this one!

tye dye, my kids love tye dying in the summer, one of their favorite things to do at church.  buy some white t's & make family shirts.

u-pick, find a local farm you can visit to pick your own fruits & veggies

visit, family & friends you don't get to see often during the hectic school year.

walk, get out & take a stroll around your nieghborhood, meet some new people, discover things you've never seen before.

x marks the spot.  create a treasure hunt for the kids.  get a treasure (new outside toys, coupons for sundaes, etc), make a map & set them on their way.

yawn, we all know a day of sun & fun can leave us drained.  go ahead & give into a mid afternoon nap.

zoo, take a trip to the zoo.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaMandee
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angieluvsolivia
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I love the summer except for when it's super hot and humid, can't take it.

Jules_
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Great ideas.

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

cool list

2lilmamas
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Not a fan of summer but the list is cool
mereinhart28
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM

love it! :)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

sadly that is pretty much the only summer's we have in ga.  i don't like them either!

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I love the summer except for when it's super hot and humid, can't take it.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Quoting 2lilmamas:

Not a fan of summer but the list is cool
me either! ;o)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)