Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your family's favorite recipes to make during the summer?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 109 Replies
1 mom liked this

From refreshing cold beverages (watermelon smoothies) to delicious desserts (butterfinger trifle recipe), many moms (and kids) love trying new recipes in the summer.

What are your family's favorite recipes to make during the summer?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smileydawn
2 moms liked this
This is an adult drink that myself, dh, and our friends love!!! It's crisp, light, and refreshing.

Use 2oz Ciroc coconut vodka
3oz coconut water
Lemon juice and simple syrup to taste!!

This drink is perfect for a backyard BBQ or a day poolside or at the beach!!!

Take out the vodka and you have a kid friendly mocktail.
Jennifer63080
1 mom liked this

Since it gets too hot to turn the oven on every day, we eat a lot of salad in the summer!  Chef salad, grilled chicken salad, and dd8 loves picking out fresh fruit for fruit salad.

My new favorite healthy option for taco salad is this:

Quinoa, Black Bean, and Corn Tacos

• 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Serve with:
  • corn or wheat tortillas
  • chopped lettuce
  • Monterey Jack, cheddar or cottage cheese
  • diced avocados
  • diced tomatoes
  • hot sauce
Directions

• Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until golden and tender, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, cooked quinoa, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover saucepan with lid and simmer about 20 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
  • Stir in corn and black beans and simmer, uncovered 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Serve warm over tortillas with desired toppings.

I left out the lime because dd is allergic to citrus, and I left out the cilantro because we all hate cilantro :-)

We have eaten this as a topping to salad, like taco salad. And we have just scooped it up with tortilla chips. And I am no chef, but this was so easy to make and delicious, and you can't beat the nutritional value of quinoa (easier to cook than rice, even)

coleysmama
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Hands down, my family's favorite meal I make during the summer has to be my chicken kebabs with fresh grilled corn on the cob!

They're so easy to make too!

I cut chicken breasts into nice sized chunks and put them on a skewers alternating with red and green bell peppers and onions. I then marinate them (overnight is best) in wishbone  robusto Italian dressing then grill them the next day. It's our favorite meal!

Sometimes its just the kebabs and corn and sometimes I'll make some rice pilaf to go with it too.

I'll also use the marinated chicken top  a nice big salad!! So delicious!

OK, now my mouth is watering...lol

AmberRose1122
In the summer, my family loves to grill! My 9-year-old son loves creating recipes out of fruit also. A few things we love? Maple grilled salmon with mango rice, strawberry fields salad, and steak with mixed fruit salsa. My son's all time favorite grill item is corn on the cob! Sometimes we just make a meal out of that. Our local Kmart does not have a full grocery section, but we do purchase snack items like chips, popcorn, candy (of course), and drinks. We stock up on Sprite because we like to cut up fresh fruit and make a "sprite spritzer". I will post each recipe separately :).
baquick
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
My girlfriends and I are big fans of wine. Moscato specifically. I've been looking for some things to make this summer that is light and fruity. I hope I find something here! Otherwise the girls and I stick to wine, the men to their beers and the children to caprisuns lol!

My 3yr old is always wanting to help in the kitchen. He also likes to help daddy grill.

I actually don't have a Kmart within 100 miles of me, but I love looking online at their stuff!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My kids are young, 1.5 and 3.5.  DD (3.5) loves to help out in the kitchen.  She loves helping with measuring and pouring and I always try to use it as a way to teach her something.

Our favorite summer meals and snacks usually include grilling.  We love to grill. We typically grill one night and then make a salad out of leftovers the next lunch or dinner meal.

My kids and I also love the baby fruit/veggie pouches.  Quick and easy for on the go and I feel good that they are eating something somewhat decent.

Mom2Just1

We love grilling!  We also make a lot of salads, cold sandwiches, etc.  We rarely actually cook.  We just make easy stuff because we love being outside more than anything!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AmberRose1122
Steak with Mixed Fruit Salsa

1 cup chopped peeled peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1 red ripe tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
4 ribeye steaks
Salt and pepper to taste

In medium bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, avocado, and tomato; mix gently. In small bowl, combine oil, lime juice, sugar, jalapeno, and salt and pepper; mix well. Pour over fruit mixture; toss and refrigerate.
Prepare and preheat grill. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks as desired, about 8-9 minutes, turning once, for medium rare, 140 degrees F. Remove from grill, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Top with fruit mixture and serve. Serves 4
AmberRose1122
I'm going to have to try this. My son's all-time favorite grilled item is corn on the cob. He could eat it daily.

Quoting coleysmama:

Hands down, my family's favorite meal I make during the summer has to be my chicken kebabs with fresh grilled corn on the cob!

They're so easy to make too!

I cut chicken breasts into nice sized chunks and put them on a skewers alternating with red and green bell peppers and onions. I then marinate them (overnight is best) in wishbone  robusto Italian dressing then grill them the next day. It's our favorite meal!

Sometimes its just the kebabs and corn and sometimes I'll make some rice pilaf to go with it too.

I'll also use the marinated chicken top  a nice big salad!! So delicious!

OK, now my mouth is watering...lol

bribren
2 moms liked this

I have a family of 6 so meal time is usually hectic. My children are 17,16,8,and 6 years old.They love to help out in the kitchen and love to make bread. Our favorite summer dish is a salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, drizzled in olive oil and topped with feta cheese. It's fast no need to cook and is healthy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN