What do you do when your kids say "MOMMY, I'm bored?"

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 177 Replies
2 moms liked this

There may be a day or two this summer when your child says “MOMMY, I’m bored.” We want to know what your response will be. 

What outdoor activities and/or toys will you encourage your child to play with?  

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ksueditz

we play in the sprinkler, slip n slide, and as soon as dh puts it up, our pool. we also have a soccer set, a outdoor bowling set, sidewalk chalk, and bubbles. non-outdoor activities we do- go to the public library 3X a week, and the school library once a week. 

Yellowlily333

We are HUGE water balloon vans here! We will sometimes surprise our son by inviting his buddies over without telling him first then give them giant tubs of water balloons to throw at each other. We always order pizza and let the kids play in the backyard (we have a trampoline, swing set, and tire swing). These make for fun days for all of us!!! :)

ilovemy3boys
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

We love love water balloon fights. Its pretty cheap and they have a blast. we put water in some, some get shaving cream and a few get whipped cream. 

We alos like book clubs and spend atleast and hour a day reading.

We  love sidewalk chalk, add some water too it and we make sidewalk paint.

robsgurl_23

if I get the mom I am bored I will send my kids outside to ride bikes, play with their little soccer goal plus ball, kickball, play on their swingset ( as long as they don't see spiders on it) go in the popup pool. If it is raining then they can watch a movie, read or play on their nabi tabs. I could also take them to the library to check out some books...=)

findingserenity
we go swimming or go ti the park to play or walk in the nature trail
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I actually just created a 5-day list of potential activities for them to do in case boredom strikes.  I got the list from Pinterest and modified it a bit.

Day one is a "nature" day where they can do things like go on a nature hunt, pick up litter, go bird watching, plant flowers, etc.

Day two is a more contemplative day with a trip to the library, writing in their journal, making a flip book, drawing pictures to go with the story they read, etc.

Day three is a crafty day where they can make puppets, paper crafts, time capsules, make things out of duct tape, cardboard, recyclables, etc.

Day four is goodies day - they can make 'no-bake' recipes, pop some popcorn, dip candy apples, make their own ice cream, etc.

Day five is game day with cards, board games, pillow fights, slip & slide, obstacle courses, etc.

Each of the days can include indoor our outdoor activities and I encourage them to come up with their own ideas for the theme of the day.

(of course, right now they're out playing with the hose, and that's just fine, too!)

There is always the old standby of riding bikes and climbing trees, too :)

iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

We will be playing in the sprinkler out front.. I also need to buy a slip n slide :) He can ride his bike as long as it is early morning or late evening hours when it's cooler. 

We also play with bubbles and chalk and have ice cream outside. 

Other than that it gets very hot and we will do trips to the local parks to play in their water systems. :) 

Teeshann
When my children cry about being bored I pull out the sidwalk chalk. It's always a big hit. If its hot enough we will run through the sprinklers and pull out the water guns for a water fight.
smileydawn
Ds is only 9 months so I have yet to hear those fateful words. Lol. We've done lots of hiking and swimming so far. I'm thinking about a sprinkler for days when we can't make it to uncle Mikey's.
alabamahapywife

I try to get the children to explore they yard. We are in the process of moving, and our new home has lots of land, much of it wooded, connected to family land. I encourage them to walk the trails (the same ones their daddy walked when he was a child), make mud pies, identify different animals and their tracks. When it is just too hot to move, we break out the hose pipe & get wet. Picking a shady tree to sit under & read is also something that I like to see them do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?