Group Home

ugly produce

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 18 Replies

do you buy it or do your fruits & veggies all have to look picture perfect?  i'm not talking about huge bruises, gashes, holes, etc.  i just mean a little speckling on the the plumes, a misshapenapple, a tiny bruise here or there.  it always amazes me when i'm at the store or market & see people passing by perfectly good fruits & veggies just because they don't look perfect.  not to mention while doing so they are in turn damaging it more.

there was a great show on one of the food channels the other day.  4 chefs (all who have shows on the channel) went to local farms & such & got all the food they couldn't sell because it wasn't "perfect" & made a 3-4 course meal for restaurant owners, executive chefs, & food critics.  the patrons had no idea where the food came from until the chefs told them at the end of the meal.  many said it opened their eyes to not bypassing food simple because it was a bit flawed.  i'm interested to find out if any of them actually changed their buying ways.  the cynic in me thinks probably not.

it was disgusting to see though the amount of food that is thrown away or used for compost every day simple because we have become a society where "if it doesn't look perfect it can't possible be any good".

so where do you mama's stand on this matter?  do you buy inperfect fruits & veggies or do they have to be aesthetically pleasing for you to buy them?

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

not perfect but fresh!

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Most Organic produce IS ugly. The really pretty stuff has been tinkered with quite a bit to be visually appealing, but tastes bland.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

tis very true! 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Most Organic produce IS ugly. The really pretty stuff has been tinkered with quite a bit to be visually appealing, but tastes bland.

alf2651
by Amanda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I buy it. DH is too picky though, and won't buy it. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

my husband is like that with some things but not food.  he manages a restaurant & sometimes he'll bring produce home that the produce company gave them for free because it wasn't "perfect" enough for them to sell.  i love it! =)

Quoting alf2651:

I buy it. DH is too picky though, and won't buy it. 

jackiewal10
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I buy the "ugly" stuff.  In fact, I generally only buy a brand of tomatoes that is called "Ugly Ripe".  They are Heirloom products and, yeah, they aren't pretty.  But they taste SOOOO good.  THAT is what a tomato is supposed to taste like.  Same goes for "two-headed" carrots and zucchini that doesn't grow straight.  I don't have an issue with any of it.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

no not perfect but fresh and not over ripe either

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Fresh but once ugly at my house that is when I make things like fruit crisp or lentils with veggies
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I prefer to buy the ones that don't look damanged but I won't pass them by just because they don't look perfect.  From my own garden anything goes :)

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I get fruits and veggies delivered to my house through a CSA group - local produce, not always pretty, but fresh as all get out!!! I love ugly produce!!!

If you're in NC, check out theproducebox.com...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky