Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you get an allowance?

Posted by   + Show Post
Was it just given to you or did you have chores to do to earn it? Was it ever withheld as punishment?
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We got it from my mom just because, but we had to do chores too.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We didn't get allowance. 

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't lol. I did have chores though, just didn't always do it.

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yes, I had to do a ton of crap for $1 a week! Dust, dishes, vaccum, bathroom cleaning....my parents were cheap! lol

maxswolfsuit
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I has to do chores to get it. And I could do extra to get more. 

My kids will get one when they're older. But they are expected to do chores. I don't pay them to do what they are supposed to do. 

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

never got allowance just got what i wanted mostly

MethodMom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is the general idea. 

I handwrite mine out though. 

Quoting rosiemarie:

How do you set up a chore card.....I am going to start this with my girls this summer. Instead of fighting when mommy is doing necessary stuff around the house they can also 😁

Quoting MethodMom:

I never got an allowance. BUT my kids do. 

I do chore cards. I have a list of chores that need to be done every day. For every chore they do I initial their chore card. 10 initials =$1 Then they carry their chore cards like cash and can use them whenever they want to buy something. I wish I could get them to save their money though. They spend every dollar they earn the second they earn it. 

MethodMom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Nope. No allowance when I was a kid. 

I don't believe in paying kids to do what they should do anyway. You live in this house it's your responsibility to help keep it clean.  My parents thought the same thing. We learned pretty early on how to earn money if we wanted it, most of our neighbors would pay a couple bucks for a kid to do some menial labor for them. That's what I'm teaching my kids, you get paid for work, keeping your space clean is not work.

I totally get what you are saying. I don't give my kids allowance for keeping their bedroom clean, and putting away their clean clothes. That is something I think they should do anyway. But I put up a list of chores that need to be done that day. And if they want to earn money, they can do them. If not, I do them and keep the money. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

No allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)