Moms Who Think Drugs Make Them Better Parents Must Be High

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Moms Who Think Drugs Make Them Better Parents Must Be High

by Ericka Sóuter

pot party
The moms dig into a cannabis-infused three-course meal.
Being a mom is hard. Really hard at times. Even after our little ones start sleeping through the night, playing independently, and finally understanding the command "go to sleep," we moms are still perpetually exhausted. It took me years to finally accept that is what it's like to be a mom -- always pulled in a million different directions thanks to family, work, preschool auctions, recitals, playdates, etc. I've accepted it as just a way of life. Not so for everyone.

A group of Beverly Hills moms proudly admit they've turned to marijuana to cope with this constant frenzy. In fact, it goes beyond the occasional puff-puff in the bathroom when the kids are asleep, with the window open and a towel rolled up along the bottom edge of the door. These women are having lavish dinner parties with pot as the preferred main dish.

Among the most popular menu items: cannabis leaf salad, chicken fried in cannabis oil, and marijuana milkshakes.

These 'marijuana moms' come from various walks of life (some stay-at-home wives of wealthy businessmen, some bartenders and waitresses) but have one crucial thing in common. They say smoking weed, which is legal with a prescription in California, makes them better parents and wives. How, you say? Well, it enables them to relax and stay calm, not angry, and be less stressed. One woman even swears it saved her marriage.

Many say they initially began using to deal with pain or side effects from an illness, then realized the added personality benefit. While I think being relaxed and calm is a good thing, I am not so sure this is the best way to accomplish it. Isn't this essentially just parenting while stoned? And I am not against their right to use marijuana through a legal prescription. That drug has helped many people suffering from illnesses like cancer and with chronic pain. But should we be nurturing and tending to our children in a constant drug haze?

Some of these moms admitted to using several times a day. It's one thing if you have an anxiety disorder or some other issue that is helped by the drug, but it sounds like an unnecessary crutch otherwise. One pro-pot mom compared it to how mothers in the 1960s used Valium to help them cope with the daily emotional strains of running a household. But that doesn't justify it in my eyes. Both examples are equally worrisome. Not because I think the drugs are dangerous to your health, but rather because it sets a bad example -- for other moms.

Being a mother is an emotionally and physically taxing job, but we should find ways to adjust to that new circumstance that doesn't involve drugs. If you need something to “get you through” parenthood every day, that's a problem that marijuana will only mask, not fix. Isn't it better to go to therapy or find some way to get more help with the kids than to turn to this? All moms deserve to be happy and I would hope there is a way to accomplish that without drugs.

Do you think smoking pot can make you a better parent?

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Don't know and don't care to find out! I have never smoked pot and no plans on doing so. Don't drink either, other than a sip of wine at night.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This minus the wine. I dont like wine..

Quoting Charizma77:

Don't know and don't care to find out! I have never smoked pot and no plans on doing so. Don't drink either, other than a sip of wine at night.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

oh I can ask my neighbor who smoked pot and other drungs and left her 3 girls with their dad.. Im sure she has an answer

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

No.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I can't stand being medicated so getting high has no appeal for me. I don't need to cope with anything in my life. I can deal with everything just fine. Yeah it is stressful and yes I deal with chronic pain but no I don't want to alter my reality to deal with it. I have found more natural methods.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

ppl will always find a way to  justify doing crap

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM

is this really any differnt than moms who have a glass or two of wine every night?  take prescription meds (mood altering ones that is)?  i'm not saying it's ok by any means i just don't get how people think because something is "legal" that makes it ok.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I'm thinking some people have some health issues (physical or mental) and rather than harmful, full of side effects, prescriptions, they choose to do something much better for their body and use MJ. In these cases....I would think it does make one a better parent if they are able to control their pain, or emotional issues, and not let it get in the way of parenting.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

wow how can you answer yes to that one really is this a serious question??

slw123
by Shawna on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I imagine that those who need medication to help them with depression are better parents because of drugs.  But I don't take any kind of drug or drink alcohol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: