Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Summer Brain Games

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

I've been reading a lot about the "summer slide"...when our kids have a break from school and those brains get a tad mushy. Now, I'm a firm believer kids need a good break from the intense bits of school, spelling tests and book reports, but there is something to be said for keeping up those mind muscles. Which is why I love games and activities the family can play that also are kinda-sorta mental exercises...but really just more fun than anything else. Just watch, you'll be having a blast with your brain too.

Categories -  It's like the reverse of that game show The $25,000 Pyramid. You all know the category and have to come up with things that belong in it. They can be broad (colors, ice cream flavors) to more challenging, specific ones (animals in the jungle, things you find in the refrigerator). Great for even little ones to play if you pick a category big enough.

Mad Libs - Verb, adjective, noun, proper name. Call ‘em out and write ‘em down. Not only will these fill-in-the-blank funnies stretch their vocabulary know-how, it will also tickle their funny bones as they read back what's been created.

20 Questions - Yes, this game has been around for ages, but, somehow, it always helps families have a fun time on that three-hour car trek to the amusement park. This game gets your kids surfing on those critical thinking brainwaves and, depending on who the "mystery person" is, can prompt some great discussions on historical figures.

Geography Starts and Ends - Cover the globe as you sit by the campfire or poolside. One person starts with a country (or state or city) -- like Russia -- and then the next person's county (or state or city) has to start with that ending letter -- you could use Alabama or Asheville.

Share your fun tip on how to prevent the "summer slide?" 

©iStockphoto.com/ VCTStyle

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:33 AM
love
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM
We do lots of reading and games
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Read and have discussions on the character and talk about their choices and think about other ways the story could end. Go visit places and have them journal what they saw and what they liked about it. Playing spelling games and math games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM
We read and play games..Great tips tho..
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM
These are some good activities. My son and I have been "playing school" with some workbooks we picked out at the dollar store...
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM

read, play games, travel

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My daughter's teacher teacher gave us math worksheets and journals. I plan to keep up with both as well as reviewing her site words, so she goes into first without the mush brain lol. I like the suggestions this post gives because they are fun ways to incorporate learning. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

the kids each do the summer bridge workbooks in the summer.  they read everyday.  they are constantly playing 20 questions in the car (which can drive me nuts!)  my daughter recently discovered mad libs which she'll also do in the car with her brother.

my kids are too little to do any type of "starts & ends" but my friends & i used to do that all the time on road trips, though we typically did it with musicians, actors, etc.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

we do lots of games - but mostly sight /word games .. when they ask questions during the summer i let that be their work for the day .. to define or figure out whatever it may be and come back and tell me the answer .. this way we are "playing" but also learning over the summer months !

Jemia
by Shekella on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)