Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

92%, really? *edited*

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 48 Replies

the kids had their yearly check-ups today & according to my daughter's stats she is in the 92% on the charts for her height.  she'll be 10 in august & is 57.8 inches (or 4' 9.8")  yet in her grade if you lined all the kids up according to height she's be in the bottom 25%, not the top.  so either the majority of her class is off the charts & are abnormally tall or the charts are incorrect.  i'm just under 5'4" & there are a great many kids in her class that aren't much shorter than me.  there are many that are my height & some are taller.  so with more than half of her class taller than she is how is she 92% on the chart?

**after a few of you lovely mamas suggested the charts were outdated i went back to look at the sheet to see if there was any kind of date on there.  the cdc charts (weight, stature, bmi) was last updated in 2000.  so yeah, i'd say they're outdated.  while 2000 isn't that long ago kids are maturing (physically not mentally) faster now then they were then.  think it's time the cdc looked into mor updated info!

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

maybe ???!!! my ds is the same hes 90% for height but daddy is 6'2

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My girls have always been taller than their classmates. My son is about in the middle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

My kids have always been in the 20% and under..no idea how that really works

morning_glories
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Something is wrong with the chart. My child will be 11 in two weeks and she is 5'2. She grew two inches this year-no lie. But she is definately not the tallest girl in her class. Maybe 75 percentile.

bupkie
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

The chart is for the overall average of children for her age.... everywhere.  Her class is just a small collection of children and not a large enough number of kids to represent a full sampling of the average range of children on the chart.  In addition, this is the age of adolescence where children hit their growth spurts at varying years, usually girls before boys (but not necessarily so).    

It's also possible to have classes with students that are large in size and classes with students that are small in size.   Our elementary school just had field day last week, which included tug-o-war.  Some classes were evenly matched, others were greatly mis-matched.  Watching along the sides, we (parents) were amazed at how one class seemed to have almost all extremely tall kids while the other seemed all small in stature and weight - by at least a foot!  (Same age and grade!)        

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

when i say class i mean her entire grade, not just her homeroom. it's the same at church, she is one of the smallest in the group of kids around her age (3rd-5th)  i know the charts the dr's use is a national average.  but if she is on the lower end of the spectrum of the 110 kids in her grade, the 25 kids in her class at church & pretty much everyone else we know or meet around her age i just wonder how she can be in the 90% on the chart.

Quoting bupkie:

The chart is for the overall average of children for her age.... everywhere.  Her class is just a small collection of children and not a large enough number of kids to represent a full sampling of the average range of children on the chart.  In addition, this is the age of adolescence where children hit their growth spurts at varying years, usually girls before boys (but not necessarily so).    

It's also possible to have classes with students that are large in size and classes with students that are small in size.   Our elementary school just had field day last week, which included tug-o-war.  Some classes were evenly matched, others were greatly mis-matched.  Watching along the sides, we (parents) were amazed at how one class seemed to have almost all extremely tall kids while the other seemed all small in stature and weight - by at least a foot!  (Same age and grade!)        

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

There are probably just a lot of tall kids in her class. There is a kid that is YOUNGER than my 10yo and she's taller than me (twice as wide too). There are just some beast walker kids out there. Where as my 10yo is 4'2" tall and is shorter than many kids a grade lower than her. LOL.  She's the only kid her age at her school still in a booster seat in the car, there are many kids there that should still be in a booster seat but I guess safety isn't a huge priority to their parents (not my kid, not my problem).

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I wonder if the charts need to be updated for this current generation of girls... So many are hitting puberty early and growing up more quickly than in the past.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM

oh my daughter was in a booster seat till about the end of '12.  she wasn't happy since some of her friends who were younger & smaller than her weren't.  she'd gripe about it all the time & i'd say basically the same thing as you "not my kid, not my problem!  i'm going to follow the law can't make anyone else do so!"

Quoting mom2jessnky:

There are probably just a lot of tall kids in her class. There is a kid that is YOUNGER than my 10yo and she's taller than me (twice as wide too). There are just some beast walker kids out there. Where as my 10yo is 4'2" tall and is shorter than many kids a grade lower than her. LOL.  She's the only kid her age at her school still in a booster seat in the car, there are many kids there that should still be in a booster seat but I guess safety isn't a huge priority to their parents (not my kid, not my problem).

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM

i think that may be the case.  who knows when the last time they were updated.  working in the elementary school i see so many girls that are not only taller than me but have a chest just as big, some even bigger than mine & i'm a 38DD.  there is one girl who was a second grader last year & she's about 5'3" & she wasn't the only one. 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I wonder if the charts need to be updated for this current generation of girls... So many are hitting puberty early and growing up more quickly than in the past.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)