Group Home

Smarter You: YOUR Independence Day

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

The Fourth of July is almost here, and it's such a fun holiday. Celebrating our nation's independence is both awesome and historic, and there are always loads of fun local activities all over for families to enjoy together. But one thing it always gives me the urge to do, personally, is to enjoy a day of independence of my own. A day of freedom from my daily grind and responsibilities. Of course, this is not possible, because I'm a mom. With lots to do. Every day, including on the 4th of July. But here are some ideas I've come up with to help bring on the feeling of freedom, at least for a little while, in your home this Independence Day.

1) Give the kids some large paper and some red and blue crayons and have them make flags, while you sit back, relax and sip a refreshing beverage with your feet up for 15 minutes.

2) Make a potato stamp with a star with your kids, and let them decorate place cards, paper napkins, cups or plates, or even your dining table, which you can cover with easel paper.

3) Make a banner with glitter. Nothing screams freedom like glitter, people. We all know that.

4) Blow up some red, white and blue balloons, crank up some classic tunes from your own childhood, like "Freedom" or "Celebrate," and have a dance party with your little ones and pretend YOU just got out of school and have the summer off with them, too.

5) Buy some piecrust and get some fresh blueberries and either strawberries or raspberries and make a delicious patriotic pie. Serve it up with some fresh white whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yum!

6) Grill up your favorite all American meal. We always resort to bacon cheeseburgers, watermelon, ice cream and pie. How can you go wrong with that?

7) Have a blast and make the day memorable with some special party accessories like sparklers, confetti, hats or streamers. Holidays only come around so often, after all, so make it as fun as festive as you can.

8) Give your kids some independence. Explain the concept of independence to them, think of some new activities that they are old enough to start doing this summer and promise them a cool reward for their efforts. Giving them more things to do on their own will gain you some more independence and freedom at the same time, and July 4th is a great day to get started.

How do you celebrate Independence Day in your family?

© iStockphoto.com/morganl

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

My kids made some flags and poppers. We are going to also have a bbq

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Great suggestions! I think I'll get some red, white and blue balloons tomorrow!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM
The in lwas are fighting so no big plans this year. DH bought some fireworks. He hopes he will be home by 8pm. We will light ours & watch the ones the town sets off from our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adams_Rib
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Wonderful ideas! Good for the rainy days that are predicted for the week. 

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Great ideas we do a parade each year
BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM

We are just going to my parents for a bbq. Small & simple :)

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Those are some good ideas. We are having a huge family day at the lake.
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Great ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We go to cookouts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80