Group Home

Smarter Shopping: Beware of Overbuying

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't love shopping, so I put it off until I really have to. There are so many great sales to take advantage of in summer all over, in small shops, on the web and in large department or retails stores. Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Sales are always HUGE, and if you're looking for a bargain, those are some of the best times of the year, in my opinion, to find them.

One problem with shopping during great sales, however, is the propensity to overbuy. We've all done it, maybe too many times. You go to the store to get the one or two or 10 things on your list, but you come home with double or triple that amount. This is not all bad, though, right? I mean, you buy those extra items because you feel that you need them and they are selling them at a GREAT PRICE that you know you won't find again soon, so why not save yourself the time and trouble of looking for those extra items at a later date, and struggling to find a great price then, when you have it right there in front of you?

But the problem is how tempting it can become, then, to buy things that we don't actually really need, or sometimes, in a frenzy, things that honestly, we don't even really want to own. Stores are so good at marketing things to their consumers these days. They make things look so exciting and NEW! But we all know, deep down, that we'll be much happier when we get home if we find a way to restrain ourselves at the register. Am I right, ladies? I have one simple solution to this problem. I let myself shop till I drop all around the store, with a big old massive shopping cart, and then, when I've had my fun and grabbed almost all the things that enticed me, I stop, just before the registers, and I go through the whole messy mound of it, and I reassess. Do I really, really need or want ALL this CRAP?! Honestly, it's all crap on some level. Some piece of fabric made in India, or some plastic gadget from China. Sure, they have their purpose and uses. But do I need these ALL?

No, no I don't. (And neither do you!) I allow myself the items on my list, plus some pre-determined number of "special extras," maybe 2 or 3, and then I have fun plucking through all the stuff in my cart to whittle it down to these extra special 2 or 3 items I really, really want to keep. And then I go home and enjoy them, and I don't feel that I've overspent, but I do feel that I did a whole boat-load of shopping, and had fun too.

Do you ever overbuy?

© iStockphoto.com/ Elenathewise

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes.  I'm more likely to overbuy when it comes to gifts for others or things for the kids.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

not really.. my dh does..

baquick
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I'm horrible about it. I've gotten better about it. But I still do some. Especially at Central Market. That store is amazing..
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM
I have before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I have when I get a great deal.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I have but am better about it now
Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I do sometimes.

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Only when I have coupons. I've been known to stockpile in the past. I haven't done that in forever. Our printer isn't working because we need the print cartridges.

wandep
by Pam on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

We try to stick with a budget.

powow65
by kimmy on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this
Nope.
I'm good, too broke to "spend spend spend".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80