Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Fourth of July Trivia

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

Happy birthday, USA!  What are you and your brood planning today? Heading to the town parade? Taking some naps so everyone can be bright-eyed and bushytailed for an evening of fireworks? Munching on burgers with close friends? Perhaps all of the above? No matter how you are celebrating the nation's holiday, share some fun factoids, snippets of knowledge about the Fourth, the founding of our country and other totally random bits of trivia America-style.

-- John Adams predicted the popularity of this holiday. After the Declaration of Independence was signed, he wrote to his wife these words:  "... will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival...It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

-- The only person to sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4 was John Hancock. Despite what we see in those masterpieces depicting the events of the Continental Congress, it took more than a few days to get everyone's signatures - a whole month was needed to collect all 56 "John Hancocks".

-- The stars on that first flag were in a circle for a good reason. Betsy Ross, the creator of that flag put the stars in a circle to stand for equality of the 13 colonies.

-- The holiday weekend is one of the biggest sales weekend for food and beverage companies. Americans will eat about 150 million hot dogs, and buy the most amount of beer for any holiday (the other holidays that are top for beer-buying: Labor Day, Memorial day, Father's Day, and Christmas).

-- Across the U.S., 30 towns or cities have the name Liberty (or have it as part of their name), while 11 have "Independence" a name, and five have "Freedom."

What are you doing for the Fourth of July?

¬©iStockphoto.com/ Emarto 

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM

We are having my moms bday party today !!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We are having a small cookout here.

Mznaye
by Jo on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Nothing at all!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Went to a parade this morning.  Firworks are rained out :-<

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

fireworks

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Our neighborhood, at our vacation home, puts on a little golf cart/lawn mower parade.  Then we went to a neighbor's house for a party.  I had to come home tonight.  DH and the kids are still there.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Is her birthday today? My mom's is July 6th, but we usually celebrate it on the 4th. She says all the fireworks and hoopla is for her birthday!

Quoting bwsmommy:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM
My MIL's bday is July 6th, too. :-)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Is her birthday today? My mom's is July 6th, but we usually celebrate it on the 4th. She says all the fireworks and hoopla is for her birthday!

Quoting bwsmommy:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM

What a coincidence!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

My MIL's bday is July 6th, too. :-)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting bwsmommy:

bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM
yes !! she was born as the fireworks were going off my mamaw always use to say !! :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting bwsmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN