Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Favors for Less

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this

I went to a 4th birthday party this past year in the park, and the birthday girl's parents had come up with a really great system for favors: They had the kids basically make them themselves and that was the whole party! First, there was a large picnic table full of fun and colorful art supplies. Each kid got a brown paper sandwich baggie, and had maybe 10 minutes to decorate it. The kids had a lot of fun sitting around and doing this, especially because when they asked what would go inside, they were told "surprises they had to find later." Once the bags were decorated, each kid got to pick a long piece of ribbon, and there were many different ones to pick from in all sorts of cool patterns and colors. Then the parents just stapled the long ribbon onto each bag, one end on each side of the top of the bag so the ribbon formed a strap.

With their goodie bags proudly strapped on over their shoulders, the kids then went on a scavenger hunt, in which each child took turns finding the next clue for the group. When each "treasure" was discovered, inside they found enough surprises to share with the group (there were 12 kids, so there were always a dozen of the exact same item). The treasures where really simple, like plastic eggs filled with jellybeans, or a little piggy bank filled with pennies and each kid got 3 pennies; there were also stickers, whistles, temporary tattoos and stuff like that.

All in all, it was by far the most fun my kid has had at a birthday party, I think because there was a purpose and there were so many surprises, and they were able to be creative, which kids love doing. In the end, each kid was totally thrilled with this simple little goodie bag which filled up their afternoon and was frankly filled with nothing more than maybe $2 of stuff. My daughter still has that bag and plays with it all the time, too, 10 months later!

Do you have any thrifty party favor ideas to share?

© iStockphoto.com/eyewave

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
One year I bought pots and seeds in the Target $1 section and had the kids plant seeds at the party so that was part of their tale home. Very inexpensive.
Jabojoe
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM
That sounds like a super great idea!! We did a party once where we bought small fabric bags at the dollar store and the kids decorated them with sharpies and fabric paint that I got on clearance. And another one where we tie-dyed.
mumamy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM

My daughters friends are in school....when they arrived they were given a container to decorate. When this was complete they had to find 'beauty items' they were given a list and clue of where to find these items after finding the items they had to come to me wearing these and then place them in their take home container (lip gloss, eye shaddow, ring, head band/tie, body glitter, nail polish and bracelet). When this was done they sat around chatting with a table of drinks and food.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Cute ideas
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

great idea.

wandep
I luv Disney :)
Wednesday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually don't do party favors. Instead I just do a pinata. :)

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Great idea! When I was 12 my mom did a mall scavenger hunt I got to invite 3 girls we each got a $20 and after lunch in the food court
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackiebugsmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a great idea!
Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Great idea!!!

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Great ideas. We had a pirate party for my oldest one year and guests searched for treats using their pirate maps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)