Summer will quickly slip by; it always does. Before you know it, the chill will be back in the evenings and it will be time to start planning for school. But while we are still here, right near the wonderful beginning of this fun season, now's a great time to come up with a summer fun list for you and your family. Since school's out, there are always many days with time to fill, and having a plan and some great ideas lined up helps. Here are some ideas to get you jump started:
1) Go explore a new place. Whether it's a week vacation somewhere, a long weekend, or just a day trip, think of a place you've never been and enjoy the adventure. Last summer we took a free ferry to a little island off NYC for the afternoon, and rented bikes there and drank pineapple lemonade a Jamaican was selling, and visited an old prison and my kid talked about it all year. It was great!
2) Enjoy a summer evening outside by a bonfire or fire pit, with all the fixings for ‘smores and some not-too-spooky ghost stories.
3) Catch fireflies, butterflies, ladybugs or whatever other cool insects your kids might be fascinated by and observe them.
4) Go (night) swimming.
5) Camp. Even if it's just in your backyard or your living room, under a homemade sheet tent, bring flashlights and enjoy the experience of sleeping somewhere other than your beds. No one needs to wake up to catch the school bus after all!
6) Grow something edible, and then enjoy eating it.
7) Make a family summer album and record all the fun things you do together.
8) Have a sandcastle contest.
9) Make your own pizza for dinner.
10) Try a new activity. Summer always offers so many new and different outdoor activities, so go ahead and be brave and try something new. You never know, you might all love it. If nothing else, it will be a fun memory that will last for many seasons to come.
What's on your summer fun list?