Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Affordable birthdays....

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 59 Replies

What are your top tips for keeping children's parties as cheap as possibly (but still with the wow factor)?

I used to spend ridiculous amounts of money on parties...I think I still spend too much but I'm slowly getting there. What do you do to cut down on on the cost when it comes to DIY parties?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't care about the wow factor when it comes to parties. As long as the kids have fun I'm happy. I keep the parties small if we have them at home so there's less room for drama between the kids. I do easy snacks & make the cake myself.
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I still spend a lot of money. I have no advice
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I have to correct myself I did stop having them at bday locations and just started having them at home.

Quoting Supervane:

I still spend a lot of money. I have no advice

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

i've found that kids don't really need "wow factor".  just getting to play with their friends is enough.  i've done birthdays at home, the park, jumpy places & the best ones where at the park where the kids could just play as they wanted.  they really don't care about entertainment or planned games.  let them be to have fun as they wish!

i've also learned to cut back on the amount of food i have.  i've begun to cut what i think i need in half & typically still have food left over.  i think i need 5 pizzas i order 3 & still usually have one left over.  most of the times the kids are too excited to stop & eat.  the same goes for the cake.  majority of the time it just gets wasted.  i've started making a little cake to put candles on & then other treats for the kids to eat; mini cupcakes, whoopie pies, rice krispie/cereal treats, brownies, etc.  that way if they don't eat much at the party i can package them up easily in goodie bags for them to take home & i'm not stuck with a ton of sweets left over.

i never had big planned out parties as a kid & really don't understand why parents today think our children need such.  sadly in their lives today they don't get much time to just be kids, let loose & have fun playing.  they definitely don't get that time at school & with all their extra curricular activities they don't get that much of it after school either so why not just let their birthday party be a couple hours of them just having fun as they want to?

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM

To cut down costs I make cupcakes instead of ordering a custom cake. I host my son's birthday parties at home instead of renting a venue. I make his own pinata.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

When doing a character theme such as Barbie, buy one Barbie center piece, and the rest of the stuff in cordinatng colors.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Instead of goodie bags, opt for one good take home item, such as a coloring book, bubbles, etc. These things are useful rather then juke.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We spend way too much.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Think outside the box.

One year I did a cat and dog themed party. I made a liter box cat and served in in a real cat box with a cat scoop. Instead of party plates, I opted for real dog bowls from the dollar store. The bowls were there take home item.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I get very creative and make the invitations and print them out. I buy party hats and those blow things at the dollar store and decorate them to fit the party theme. I even make my own decorations and cupcakes. Its a lot of work and takes planning ahead. The dollar store is my friend. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN