Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

you've got to be kidding me!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

we live in an apartment & our rent is due on the 1st of course.  it isn't considered late till after 12pm on the 4th however, which is good because sometimes our paydays don't fall so we can make the entire payment on the 1st.  we get emailed our total every month (water, sewer & trash fluctuate).  least that's how it used to be.  i went down to the office when i woke up at 9am to drop off the payment only to find the dropbox locked with a note saying payments are now late & will not be accepted without a 10% late fee added.  the office is closed today for the holiday so i can't ask them when they changed their policy.  i came back home & checked the email to see if there was anything on it about the office being closed today & payments having to be in by the 3rd to not be considered late but there was nothing.

now the office is never open on sundays & when the 4th falls on a sunday we have been able to drop the payments off all day on that sunday without issue or late fees being applied.   

i understand if they want to change the policy, it's within their right, but as tennets we should have the right to be informed of changes prior to them taking effect.  like changing office hours (which they've done several times without notice) & especially when the lease says that "payment received after the 4th of the month will be considered late & will be subject to a 10% late fee".  maybe it's just me but i read it as payments made on the 4th will not be considered late.  am i wrong in my understanding of that phrase?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Well if the office is closed on the 4th, and payment due in the 4th by midnight. I can see how it is considered a late payment.

To me payment in the drop box doesn't count as a processed payment.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

well the office doesn't accept payments "in hand" they all have to be put in the drop box for some reason.

i can understand your first point but we were not informed that the office would be closed today.  nothing was mentioned in the emails with the rent total, no sign posted on the office door.  nada!  so if your tenants aren't informed you are not going to be open how are they to know?  not everyone is psychic after all!

Quoting Supervane:

Well if the office is closed on the 4th, and payment due in the 4th by midnight. I can see how it is considered a late payment.

BeachMommy07
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

They should have that in their policy that it's a noted change.

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
But there is usually someone in the office to go check the payment box and process the payments right, if no one is there then nothing will get processed... has you leasing office been closed on holidays in the past (ex thanksgiving, labor day, etc)? To me it wouldn't be a psychic or clairvoyant expectation thing more of a logical thing.

Quoting lizzig:

well the office doesn't accept payments "in hand" they all have to be put in the drop box for some reason.

i can understand your first point but we were not informed that the office would be closed today.  nothing was mentioned in the emails with the rent total, no sign posted on the office door.  nada!  so if your tenants aren't informed you are not going to be open how are they to know?  not everyone is psychic after all!

Quoting Supervane:

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I would be upset too

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I would be hacked too

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

only on thanksgiving & christmas.  they've always been open the other "smaller" holidays, unless it falls on a sunday.  if there is someone in the office they're working in the dark! 

Quoting Supervane:

But there is usually someone in the office to go check the payment box and process the payments right, if no one is there then nothing will get processed... has you leasing office been closed on holidays in the past (ex thanksgiving, labor day, etc)? To me it wouldn't be a psychic or clairvoyant expectation thing more of a logical thing.

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting Supervane:

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

They should have informed you if they weren't going to allow payments on the holiday.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM

not just that but they should have informed us they were going to be closed.

Quoting dusky_rose:

They should have informed you if they weren't going to allow payments on the holiday.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Thats to bad that they didn't let you know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN