Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Time for A Personal Check-in

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

We make sure they have everything they need for camp, their shoes fit, they see the dentist every six months and floss every night. We keep tabs on how their friendships are going, if they are keeping fit, and have veggies at every meal. Yes, we make sure our kids are on track, healthy and happy...but when was the last time you checked to be sure you were on track?

Right. I'm bad at that too. I've had some back woes recently and had to have an MRI. While prone in the machine tube, I couldn't do anything. Nothing. Nada.  I could only just lie there. Even with the loud racket that it makes, I realized that was probably the most relaxed I had been in a while...that is not right, huh?

We moms often aren't in tune how we may be doing because we just don't have time to be in tune. But it is vital to, essential to, as when we don't, when we aren't aware, we lose touch of, well, ourselves. Our physical selves, our mental selves, our emotional selves. When we lose touch, we can become numb to our life and just go along it, instead of living it.

So, let's do this. Let's take two minutes right now and check in. First, calm yourself and take a few deep breaths. Ask yourself some questions -- How are you feeling overall? Do you get out of breath easily? Are you squinting? When was the last time you exercised? Go down the list of doctors (OBGYN, eye doc, and so on) and try to remember when you last saw them...if it has been a while, make those appointments today.

Now, focus on your mental and emotional self. Have you felt "blue" lately? When was the last time you really laughed with your kids or spouse? What about the last time you did something just for yourself? Do you fly off the handle at the littlest thing? Are you doing good mental exercises, like crossword puzzles and meditation? 

So, how was your personal check-in? How are you measuring up? When was the last time you went to the doctor?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Good reminder! Thanks!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I am very good in this area
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I go every 6 months to a year to see the doctor. I have an auto immune disease so I have to be on some strong meds. MY Rhummy sees me every 6 months and my regular doctor sees me every year.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Cancer runs in my family so I'm very diligent about going to the doc/getting routine checkups.  No problems in this area.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I need to take more time for myself. 

Jemia
by Shekella on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I admit i haven't been to the doctor in awhile so i'm gonna make an appointment today.
LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I have been trying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackiebugsmom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I'm pretty bad at personal checkups..
Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It's been over a year since I saw my OB/GYN, but otherwise I'm current on all of that.  I went for a mani and pedi a couple weeks ago.  I do mental exercises all the time.  But, I do need to exercise more.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Well we're all pretty exhausted at the momen with lots of summer visitors... Mommy included! I could use some mommy downtime, but I'm not sure when/if that will be happening soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN