Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: The Lowdown on eReaders

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

I'm a book gal and it's taken me a while to come around to this whole eReader thing. I just started reading books on my (very old) iPad...I like it. Especially in bed. I miss flipping the pages of a book at times and I love being surrounded by books in my home, but on the whole, this eReader thing is pretty cool.

My sister has a Kindle. My mom has a Kindle. My husband has an iPad. I have friends that have both a Kindle, a Nook and an iPad. And if you ask all of them which one you should get to read books on, they will, of course, all say the one they have. But which eReader is right for you? Here's a lowdown on what I've read:

Kindle - There are a few different types of Kindle, but the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire seem to be at the top of the list for best eReader, with a built-in light and access to every book Amazon offers, you can't go wrong. You can play movies and apps, too. The kicker on the Kindle - it's much less than the iPad, yet not as cheap as the Nook.

iPad - Again, you have options: the mini or the regular iPad, both with access to books on the iTunes store, which may not be as plentiful as Amazon, but is still pretty great. Add in all of the apps and movies you can watch, as well as the fact the iPad can be used as a laptop if need be, you do get more...though the price is much steeper than other eReaders on the market.

Nook - The third top contender here, but Barnes and Noble's tablet shouldn't be overlooked. It doesn't have the built-in light, which knocks it out of top contention, but that aside, it leaps ahead in terms of price. You can get the Nook Simple Touch for about $80, a vast price difference.

Do you have an eReader? Do you want to get one or do you love the feel of the book in your hands?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ AdamRadosavljevic 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a Kindle Touch for my e-Reader. My oldest kid has a regular Kindle.

Both kids have Kindle Fires. DH has an iPad.

iPads, Nook HD, and Kindle Fire are NOT eReaders, they're tablets that you can choose to read on, but since all three are backlit (and heavy in comparison to a real eReader) they're not a good option because of eye strain and they're heavy. 

Also you totally FAILED to mention the regular kindle which is $69, so it's the cheapest option, NOT the Nook.  I did a lot of research before deciding on Kindles for us. Amazon has top notch customer service, their selection of books is awesome, and the price was better. So Amazon for the win.  Also if you go the tablet route the Amazon app store gives a different paid app away for free every single day, you can't use the Amazon app store on a nook.

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I have a Nook Color and love it.   Much easier to travel with millions of free books. 

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I don't have an ereader.  I love my books.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I dont and dont plan on getting one

amyjane22
by Amy on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I do not have an ereader.  I prefer the feel of a book in my hands.  However, my husband reads on his ereader all the time.  We bought his kindle keyboard used a couple Christmases ago.  He really likes it.  Since it's not backlit, it doesn't cause any eye strain for him. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a Nook Simple Touch, and I had a First Generation Nook before that. I always thought I would stick to "real" books forever, but honestly, I love the convenience of Nook... Hundreds of books any time I go on vacation, thousands of free books to choose from... Yeah, I'm not going back. :)

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I agree that tablets are NOT e-readers. I have been sticking with true e-readers over the past few years precisely because of eye strain... Reading on a true e-reader (with e-ink technology) is just like reading the page of a book.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I have a Kindle Touch for my e-Reader. My oldest kid has a regular Kindle.

Both kids have Kindle Fires. DH has an iPad.

iPads, Nook HD, and Kindle Fire are NOT eReaders, they're tablets that you can choose to read on, but since all three are backlit (and heavy in comparison to a real eReader) they're not a good option because of eye strain and they're heavy. 

Also you totally FAILED to mention the regular kindle which is $69, so it's the cheapest option, NOT the Nook.  I did a lot of research before deciding on Kindles for us. Amazon has top notch customer service, their selection of books is awesome, and the price was better. So Amazon for the win.  Also if you go the tablet route the Amazon app store gives a different paid app away for free every single day, you can't use the Amazon app store on a nook.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

i have a kindle.. love it :)

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I have nissen wanting to ask about the different ones lately as I am thinking about getting one. Thanks for posting this, I'll read all the comments!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We have every thing but the nook. Hubby has the ipad, I have a kindle fire and an iphone 5, we have our laptops...dell and mac, my son has an ipod and my daughter has a regular tablet...non brand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)