Smarter Style: Quick Kitchen Makeover

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

A kitchen is a place where most mamas find themselves spending much of their time throughout their family lives. It's a place that should hopefully be warm and welcoming, and conjure up many wonderful and fun memories of time spent preparing endless amounts of food with endless amounts of love for our families, and hopefully, with the help of our families too. And last but not least at all, a kitchen is a place that gets so much wear and tear throughout time that it can almost always feel like it needs a quick makeover of some kind, at least to me. Luckily, there are several simple steps you can take to give your kitchen a quick facelift and new life with little effort.

The easiest and cheapest method to revive your kitchen's look and feel is to pick a fresh, new color theme, and infuse your kitchen with that new glow by painting your walls and / or your cabinets (if they are a material that can be painted, but note that you need to take the time to remove them, sand them a bit and then pain them to make sure it looks great). You might pick a new color that is bright and warm, like a tomato or berry red, or the color of a navel orange or even a bright lemon or lime. Or maybe it's something more soothing and reminiscent of nature, like a leafy green or ocean blue. Or maybe it's just a fresh coat of bright white that you can use as a clean, plain backdrop to make all the colors of your pots and dishes and accessories POP out like splashes of brightness. (Note that white will make your space look bigger than other colors, if you are feeling cramped in your kitchen).

Next, you can get new handles or knobs for your cabinets. You can find so many cool options at places like hardware stores, or Home Depot or Lowes, or any other home improvement store. And it only takes a few minutes to replace them! Best of all, they are almost always very cheap and when you replace them all they give a whole new look to your kitchen in a flash.

Another quick trick, though more costly, is to replace your cabinet doors if they are really old, out of style or just not to your liking at all. You can try to look up the manufacturer of your cabinets and see which new doors they offer, or you can try, again, a large home improvement store and just bring the measurements of your cabinets and see what they can offer you. Changing the DOORS is much more simple and cost effective than replacing the entire cabinets, but it will have the same visual effect of an entire cabinet makeover all the same.

A couple of other tricks are to change your lighting to something brighter or warmer, or add under-cabinet or interior lighting to brighten your countertops and cabinets. You can also consider replacing part of or all of your countertop, which brings a whole new look to the entire room and does not cost as much as you might imagine.

Do you have any simple kitchen makeover tips?

© iStockphoto.com/arquiplay77

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Declutter
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I love my kitchen, bright, cheerful,lots of natural light and beautiful green plants.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
This is the number one thing I do regularly in my kitchen!!!!!! I have to, it tends to be the catch all in my home.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Declutter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I think greenery can brighten up any room and give it a fresh new feel.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
:) Me too! (minus the plants, I kill them unless they are outdoors plants)

Quoting GypsiSky:

I love my kitchen, bright, cheerful,lots of natural light and beautiful green plants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Awww, lol... They do have very beautifully realistic silk plants now. Not the obviously fake plastic ones of a couple of years ago, lol

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting GypsiSky:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I have looked in stores! It's amazing how life like they are!!!!! I have considered buying them, but knowing me, it would shame me, and remind me more of how black my thumb is.
Now, I do grow a garden-I just do better when its outside.
You can see my garden from the kitchen window-does that count? LOL

Quoting GypsiSky:

Awww, lol... They do have very beautifully realistic silk plants now. Not the obviously fake plastic ones of a couple of years ago, lol

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting GypsiSky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

LoL, sure it does!!! And I'm the opposite... I have an amazing knack for beautiful, healthy indoor plants, but a garden outside... Not so much, lol

Quoting celestegood:

I have looked in stores! It's amazing how life like they are!!!!! I have considered buying them, but knowing me, it would shame me, and remind me more of how black my thumb is.

Quoting GypsiSky:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting GypsiSky:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
That's too funny. I guess it works out to the same in the end.

Quoting GypsiSky:

LoL, sure it does!!! And I'm the opposite... I have an amazing knack for beautiful, healthy indoor plants, but a garden outside... Not so much, lol

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting GypsiSky:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting GypsiSky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: