Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Burn and Sting Remedies

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

It seems almost impossible to get through the summer, with a family, without someone feeling a burn somewhere or another at some point. It can be from the sun, it can be from a bee sting, it can be from getting too close to a bonfire or grill, or it can be (as was the case for my left arm last week), from the lovely long tentacles of an obscure jellyfish. Ouch!

Here are a few tricks that I've learned to help heal all sorts of summery burns and provide some relief from the pain so you can all get back to having more fun, faster. (Please note that if any burns are severe, medical attention is recommended. I am referring to helping small, minor burns here.):

1) For sunburns: Keep aloe on hand. Aloe gel can be found at any drug store and works great. The goo from an actual aloe plant works even better, and I do know people who grow them at home for that purpose. They are apparently very easy houseplants. For burns in delicate areas like eyelids, make a cool compress with chamomile (make a few cups of the tea and let cool) using a soft washcloth or cotton pads. Cucumbers also work wonders.

2) For burns from fire: First aid creams have worked best for me. Neosporin is what we keep on hand mostly, and then cover the burned skin to protect it while it heals with a clean gauze.

3) For insect stings: I like Neosporin for this as well. You can also make a compress with baking soda which I think works by absorbing the venom somehow. Cool stuff!

4) For jellyfish stings: First, rub the area right away vigorously with WET SAND for a few minutes. Apparently, the tentacles and poison cling into the pores of your skin, and rubbing the wet sand releases them quickly and also, weirdly, feels good. (I did this on myself and it worked well!) I still felt a burn though, and learned that keeping plain old white vinegar on hand is a great way to wash off the poison or neutralize it, and thereby reducing the pain faster too. Since I saw on the news that Man o' Wars are in our area, I am definitely packing some vinegar in my beach bag from now on!

How do you heal a minor burn or sting?

© iStockphoto.com/thenorthernmonkey

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2lilmamas
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the info
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I use Aloe for sunburns and for bug bites I use rubbing alcohol to soothe it.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I had an aloe plant, this rinds me that I need another. Great tips.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Good advice! Thank you!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I keep an aloe plant for burns. For jellyfish stings, I would run to the lifeguards, they all have vinegar for that. Never heard of using wet sand, always heard not to rub it because you rub it in.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Great tips. I have used aloe in the past.

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS - don't have to worry about jellyfish around here =)

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM
reminds
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

we have aloe for sunburns, which doesn't get used much because i make sure we are coated in spf50 or above when we're out & i reapply constantly.

for burns, which hubby & i get allot being we both work in a kitchen, we have a burn spray, easier to use than any creams or gels.

for stings/bites i keep a stick of "after bite" in my purse since mosquitos love my daughter.  calamine lotion, baking soda compresses are also good when at at.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

It really depends on the type of burn or sting, but I think the tips above are excellent. We don't have jellyfish, but otherwise I use the same methods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)