Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Easy Moves to Banish Flabby Arms

Posted by   + Show Post

I am now in my 40s, and I've noticed a few things about this decade. More gray hair, and a few more aches, as well as a nice boost in my inner confidence. Another thing that I can tell - it takes a little more effort to beat a few extra pounds put on during vacation and a few extra bits of exercise to tone up. One of those places I'm always battling: the back of my arms, that triceps area. It's a tough spot for many of us, right?

The thing is, getting that area toned actually doesn't take fancy diets or machines. The main thing - eat some good lean protein and salads, drink lots of water (you know, a good, ol' healthy eating plan) and then do a few basic moves every day. The key? Doing them consistently and having really good form.

I found a few ideas at Fitness Magazine as well as Lifehacker to guide my road to toned arms, and here's what I'm doing:

-- Do 25 jumping jacks to get my heart rate up.

-- Basic arm circles. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and small dumbbells in each hand (if you don't have weights, you can use canned beans or something). Have your arms straight out to the sides and do 20 small circles inward and then 20 arm circles backwards.

-- Jog in place for 3 minutes for that ol' heart rate boost.

-- Basic Shoulder Press. Stand and bend your elbows with hands by your ears, holding weights. Press up, straight to over your head (but keep those shoulders down and relaxed) and then bring the weights back down to ear level.

-- Do 30 knee lifts.

-- Standing push-ups. Stand by the kitchen counter and grab onto the edge, feet a few feet back and hands about shoulder width apart. Tighten your abs and tush and lower yourself down and then back. As you do it, be sure to keep your elbows tight to the body, not flared out, and go as far down to the counter as you can keeping your body straight.

-- Stretch. This is key to muscle and joint heath. Stretching after will maintain that lean look and help keep that soreness at bay.

Do you need to tone your arms? Any great moves you have found to help get them in shape?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Nobilior                        

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I need to tone my arms.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Thanks these sound helpful

Mznaye
by Jo on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for the tips

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

They could probably use it, but I'm carrying babies all the time, so they get a workout.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I need to tone everything right now. I tone fast with bicep curls & tricep dips.
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My arms are hopeless....I don't even try.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I've been working on my arms for months still flab but shrinking
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I really need to tone my arms. I'm going to try this....it doesn't sound too daunting :)
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Thanks!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)