Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obesed scouts banned from Jamboree

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmybooskies
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think it's mean. IMO it's USUALLY the parents fault a child is over weight...notice I said USUALLY. I know they said they are doing this to help kids reach healthy weight goals / life style, but how can they do that if mom and dad aren't buying and making healthy food? I think this will only embarrass and hurt their self esteem. 

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

exactly.. and I thought scouts is all for boost the selfesteem in a child..

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

I think it's mean. IMO it's USUALLY the parents fault a child is over weight...notice I said USUALLY. I know they said they are doing this to help kids reach healthy weight goals / life style, but how can they do that if mom and dad aren't buying and making healthy food? I think this will only embarrass and hurt their self esteem. 

mommy2boys03
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ok my son is a scout and for some activities that are physically demanding they require a doctor's approval.  They have told the families over a year ago about this requirement.  For kicks I looked up an bmi calculator and put my son's height and weight in.  He is over weight and I know it we only buy healthy food and he spends more time outside playing, bike riding, swim lessons, swimming laps at the y.  He is active.  That being said.  HIs bmi was 31.  I played with the numbers and a boy at 12 would have to be over 195 pounds to not be able to go.  At that weight he probably couldn't do what was required and be more embarrassed about not being able to do the stuff.  

BKozICan
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Yup. I am a leader and the same weighty standards apply to me. There is a liability issue at play AND your doctor's has to say that you are fit and able to meet the activity requirements. These are not "drive the RV to the campsite and park" activities--they involve all day hiking, potentially(not sur eif this jambo has them) ziplines, rope bridges, etc.

I am a little too heavy, but I am pretty sure I will be admitted to my upcoming training because it is a mostly classroom situation. I can generally run circles around the skinny, smoking leaders all day long.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Horrible.!!! Makes me angry and sad. Thats not fair!!!!!

mommy2boys03
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I looked up the site they are using.  It's a high intensity campsite.  I don't believe it's the scouts making this requirement but the actual site it's self rule.  

summit.scouts.org

There is the camp's site.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)