Group Home

are teachers at your child's school picky about supplies?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 68 Replies

at my kids school each grade level comes up with their supply list & some of the teachers can be very finiky when it comes to supplies.  now while i do buy the kids crayola crayons (some of the cheaper brands are too waxy & don't color as well) for their supplies everything else is pretty much the cheapest i can find.  sometimes that brand name most of the time it's generic/off brand.  other than the crayons i really don't see a difference in the quality.

some examples of the teachers "pickiness"; for 2nd grade they only want ticonderoga brand #2 pencils (i've never even heard of that brand).  all the other grades just ask for #2, non mechaical pencils.

1st grade only wants fiskars scissors.  all the other grades simple ask for scissors.

3rd grade wants post-it brand sticky notes only, no "off brands". 

4th grade want "expo brand only" dry erase markers.

even though the list says "this brand only" etc. i don't follow it.  i'm working with a budget & if i can find supplies cheaper than the brand they are asking for i'm going to go with that.

so what about your children's school supply lists?  are they brand specific?  if so do you follow it?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

we don't have lists yet but my theory is, if I'm buying, i will get what I can afford--if they don't like it, they can get it themselves. lol

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I wouldnt either. and if something was said to me, I would say well are you paying for it for my child?

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

on another note, I have had this on lists but never said no off brands. I understand the crayons though, I only buy crayola b/c lets face it the off brands for them usually suck, I have also found the colored pencils too suck unless its crayola.. and walmart sells them for .98 cents so that is ok with me. I have started with the basics for back to school.

mamavalor
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Their lists aren't as specific as they used to be.

Maggia
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Since it is a public school I'm sure they are asking for what they want and hope for the best.  I worked in an elementary school for 6 years while my 3 kids were there.  You'd be surprised how many kids don't bring anything.  They usually ask for specifics because they know what works better, but I wouldn't stress...

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

oh i don't stress.  i've worked at the school for 6 years but this is the first year i've seen brand requests on the list.  have lots of new teachers though.  it just surprises me that knowing our demographic they would get so brand specific on the supply list.  at least 1/2 of our school population is on free/reduced lunches.

Quoting Maggia:

Since it is a public school I'm sure they are asking for what they want and hope for the best.  I worked in an elementary school for 6 years while my 3 kids were there.  You'd be surprised how many kids don't bring anything.  They usually ask for specifics because they know what works better, but I wouldn't stress...

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
we dont have supply lists. the teacher asks if we can send in stuff like tissues and cleaning wipes but they are not specific about brand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

i work at the school & the teachers that know me definitely know better than to say something to me about the supplies i bring in! ;o)  i've seen the closests in their classrooms & know how much tissue, paper, sanitzer they have left over at the end of every year.

like one thing that is on every grades list is ziplock bags; some ask for gallon, some for quart, some for both.  i haven't bought them the last two years.  i asked my oldest in 3rd grade what they did with the ziplock bags we sent in & when she said nothing i stopped sending them in.  the kids aren't allowed to bring their bookbags the last day of school, pretty much everything is sent home the day before.  on the last day they come home with a ziplock bag with their report cards & awards in it.  if this is the only thing the bags are used for why does every student need to send in a box?  in 4th grade they used two ziplock bags the whole year, one for the end of the year the other for when they tye-dyed t-shirts for field trips.  again a big waste for every student to bring in a box.

Quoting Leelee1008:

I wouldnt either. and if something was said to me, I would say well are you paying for it for my child?

PoplarGrove
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

All my school lists have usually been really picky.  Sometimes I follow it sometimes I don't.  

I had one teacher who explained her reasoning in her letter for certain things and it made sense:

She asked for twistables crayons because they last longer than regular crayons and don't need to be sharpened. Crayola pencil crayons because some cheap pencil crayons tear paper or don't colour well and kids get upset.  Name brand glue sticks because often dollar store glue sticks are dried out or don't stick well.  Fiskars scissors because they don't break and actually cut paper. etc.  

I try to supply quality products for my kids because I know how frustrating it is to use low quality products but if all I could afford was the dollar store products I'd buy them.  Unless the school is buying my children's school supplies they don't really have a say in what I purchase.  

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Not at all. They understand how it is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie