Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Best Bulk Buys

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

Shopping for groceries and household supplies takes time, energy and of course money. Here in NYC where I live, and in many other areas too, people live centrally in very small apartments and simply do not have room to buy bulk items. That's a bummer on many fronts, because not only do you have to go shopping more frequently, each time you run out of that 4-roll pack of TP, for instance, but you also spend more money this way, too. Much more, in fact, over the years.

After living in teeny, itsy bitsy one-room apartment for years with my husband, we had to move and find more room when our daughter was born. So now that we have found that place with more space, after more than a decade spent shopping for small items almost each day, I am delighted to be able to buy some items in bulk, because I have room for them (well, for a few at least, let's not get too excited here). (And yes, it's really the very small things in life that make me happy, sometimes.) And I am SAVING so much TIME and MONEY. It's fantastic! Here are, so far, the best bulk items I have found for making life easier and cheaper:

1) Toilet Paper!

2) Paper Towels

3) Diapers!

4) Laundry detergents and cleaning products (though some cleaning products you really don't need to ever buy bulk of course, because you don't use them in large quantities on a daily basis).

5) Snack packs for kid's school and camp meals

6) Baby food (in jars and pouches, and formula)

7) Baking needs if you bake often (such as various types of flour and sugar etc.)

8) Beverages

9) Emergency supplies (Bottled water, non-perishable canned foods, batteries for flashlights, first aid items)

10) Pet food and supplies (like kitty litter)

11) Regular personal hygiene items (like moisturizering lotions, sunscreen, bars of soap, toothpaste, floss, even hair care products)

12) Office supplies and paper supplies like gift-wrap, ribbon, tape, and note cards.

The few things that really don't make sense to me to buy in bulk are really simply things you are using as a rarity, or fresh produce, dairy and other refrigerated foods.

What are your favorite bulk buys?

© iStockphoto.com/ Multiart  

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with most of that stuff, the dangerous thing about bulk buying though is you're not always getting a good deal. You need to do a breakdown on the price per item. 100 rolls of TP for $50, that's a GREAT DEAL... wait...is it? That's 50 cents a roll, Charmin Basic is $4.99 for 12 rolls (not on sale) so that's 41 cents a roll. 

50# of cat litter for $25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOMG, but wait you can get 30# for $12 so for a $1 less you can get 10# more...

Stuff like that, sometimes it is a good deal but with everything else you have to pay attention to how much you're really paying.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We buy almost all of these in bulk, except for baby food (no babies) and beverages (because we don't drink anything like that on a regular basis).

I would add my recommendation to buy deli meat and cheese at the bulk discount club, because it's always much cheaper... And you usually don't have to buy 10# if you get it at their deli counter. :)

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Apple juice, My kids drink a lot of it.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
That would suck to live in a teeny tiny space...I went crazy in what I called my dwarf house.I could touch the ceiling without tip toe..Now we're on 200 acres in a doublewide mobile..We get toilet paper,pads,shampoo conitioner,toothpaste and sugar in bulk...
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We have a big family so bulk shopping is very important to our budget. I always buy toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, sugar, flour, per food, laundry supplies, vinegar for making cleaning solution, hygiene items, batteries, etc at the box stores.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
we dont really buy bulk at all ...
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I coupon for a lot of our toiletries so yes I stock up on our non perishables

mackiebugsmom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM
We always buy our toilet paper and dog food in bulk
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I agree with most of this stuff on the list.  I love to buy in bulk.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

tyfs! we dont really buy in bulk since those stores have a fee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)