Group Home

What school supplies are you buying for your child this year?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 238 Replies

We gave moms a $50 Kmart gift card and asked them to check out the back-to-school supplies at Kmart. 

Read about all the great supplies they bought and then tell us, what school supplies are you buying for your child this year.

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
romalove

0 (3264×1836)

My daughter is in high school.  I took her with me to select her back to school supplies.  She is hard on her books, and chose to get high quality Mead products because they last longer, even if they are a little pricier.  You can see she got all the notebooks and binders and folders she needed, some pens and pencils (she likes mechanical pencils), and we even had a few dollars for the necklace she slected which was on a red tag clearance.

Overall I was impressed with the selection and that they had such good quality items for back to school.  I normally don't shop KMart for back to school at all, and would reconsider after this experience.  I took my daughter with me deliberately to make sure she would like and approve of the products, and she did.  She had no trouble at all finding what she liked and needed.  I appreciated the opportunity to check out KMart for back to school.

lizmarie1975

This year, my daughter needed new sneakers and thankfully only a few school supplies as I still had quite a bit leftover from last year.

We used Kmart online and had a pleasant experience. When I added the sneakers to my cart, it let me know that I was qualified to get another pair for 50% off but we declined the offer.

I let my daughter pick out what she wanted so she picked out a new shirt, sneakers, underwear, and socks, and a new set of earbuds for use in the classroom. Kmart is kind of out of my way so I wasn't able to pick out some of the smaller items because they were not available for delivery. 

My daughter went Monster High all the way, with the exception of the earbuds and socks. She was away when the items were delivered and was so excited to see them. She tried on the sneakers and wanted to start wearing them immediately. Unfortunately, we don't go back until September 9th so she's just going to have to be content with looking at them in the box!

Reading some of the other posts about problems with in-store purchases makes me glad that I chose to use the online feature!

redhead-bedhead

I got my gift card on Friday, so we went shopping on Saturday afternoon.

The Kmart I went to was completely dead. I thought that maybe they had closed down because in the shopping mall it was in there were only a few cars.

I took both of my daughters with me and they picked out a art supply kit and both got a coloring book and workbook. They also picked out a few puzzles.

I did notice that they have a pretty good selection of toys. 

I did notice that their prices were a bit higher than other stores, but it was usually only by a couple cents so it wasn't a hardship to buy them at Kmart.

A-WAHL
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I may have gone a little crazy on school supplies big smile miniMy youngest is going into second grade so we went and got her some crayons, markers, tons of paper, erasers, tons of pencils, glue and a pencil box. Thank you CM and Kmart!

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Here are the supplies we bought last weekend =)

For my daughter:

She LOVES her backpack =)

This what I got for my son:

We don't normally shop for school supplies at KMart because it is not local to us.  But there is one near our vacation home.  So, we headed over last Saturday.  It was all in one area, so we didn't have to search much.  We did have to go into the office supply section for a few things.  In this particular store, the office supply section is kind of hidden.  They had way more girly supplies than boyish ones, so my son wasn't as happy as my daughter.  There were also a few items that they didn't carry at all.  I will have to buy them locally.  I spend $73 on all the supplies that are pictured above.  Thanks CafeMom and KMart!!!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

my daughter needed a new backpack, again, she is so rough on them they barely last a year.  thankfully my son didn't.  didn't have to buy new lunch boxes either so it was just the basics; paper, crayons, notebooks, pencils, etc. 

i think this will be my last year getting off easy with supplies.  my daughter goes to jr high next year & i know the cost of supplies will go up then with flash drives, scientific calculators & such.

MommeisQueen
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Hi. I chose to get the Crayola products from my kids school issued supply lists from Kmart. Kmart had the most reasonable prices for these than all the other sakes Ads I had checked. The crayons were .49 cents and markers 1.49. this is a GREAT deal! all the other stores had them for three dollars or more. I also picked up a dry eraser and the sanitizer wipes from their school supply lists there; they were 2 for 4$.
Dabberdoo
I was very disappointed in my shopping experience at my local Kmart. I rarely shop online. I was very excited to have this opportunity because we home school and my children take an art class as part of their curriculum. Oftentimes art class falls by the wayside because I don't have all the needed materials to complete the assignments. Once I got my gift card, I pulled out their art books and made a master list of needed supplies for the entire year hoping to purchase the bulk of the list with my gift card. I knew I wouldn't be able to get some items such as different colored aluminum foil or other craft store type items but I was hoping to make a good dent in my list.

The selection at my Kmart was really bad. I was unable to get most of my list. I picked up paints, sandpaper, chalk, paper and Styrofoam plates, tissues, and some other items but not nearly what I needed. There were several items that they carry but were sold out such as tooth picks and watercolor paints.

This is precisely why I don't shop my local Kmart very often. Their selection isn't very good, the shelves are often empty, and the prices are always more than my usual store. This Back To School shopping experienced proved no different. Because there were so many items I was unable to purchase for my art supply list, I ended up buying the usual crayons, paper, pencils, erasures, binders, markers, etc, in addition to the items I picked up for art class.

I appreciate very much the gift card and opportunity to buy some back to school supplies but I'm afraid this did nothing but further support why I don't shop my local Kmart very often.
taylamill

Mobile Photo

We had a great time shopping at Kmart. The prices were really good. I normally go to Wal-Mart because my family works for them and we have a discount card so its normally really hard to beat the end price. However this time Kmart did.

The workers were very helpful on showing/telling us where things were at. My only complaint is its very dark in our store.

With clothes that we got and supplies the total came up to seventy dollars but with the gift card of fifty plus a five dollar gift card she got from a friend and my Kmart reward points I only spent ten dollars and twenty five cents out of my own pocket. Still with all the clothes we got and school supplies it was a great price.
billssweety

We had already purchased our school clothes (we only buy 1 shirt and a pair of shoes now, then pick stuff up monthly throughout the year).  However we did, as usual, do all of our supply shopping at K-Mart.  There are several times a year I only shop at K-Mart, school supplies is one of them!!

Here is what we got!  (sorry for the mess I am i the middle of making a jean rag quilte!)

I am normally very picky about what we get, but this year with the boys being in Jr. High I wanted them to get some stuff that was just what they wanted.  So I told them they could each spend $10.  One chose the green binder, the brown "leather" note pad, the protractor, pens & a pencil sharpener, his brother chose pencils, highlighters, construction paper and a ruler.  One of my twins hadn't chosen a backpack yet, so he got the backpack in the picture.  Additionall we got lots of tables and notebooks, a pencil sharpener for home, and glue!

twitchandsnore

I start early and had already bought all the school supplies I needed for both girls before I was asked to do the influencer program so I used it for back to school clothes which I will post about in the next assignment :) I did notice that they had a great selection though. I don't go to K-Mart all the time because it takes about 40 minutes to get there but I'll be going more often now for sure! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky