Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Cleaning supplies?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM
  • 28 Replies

My cleaning supplies have always been store bought.  I was looking at some recipes tonight for homemade cleaning supplies.  Does anyone here make their own?  The recipe I was looking at said that to make 27oz of glass cleaner it cost about $0.29.  I see that lavender oil is one of the ingredients.  I don't even know where you buy that lol.  I looked on Amazon and the cheapest I saw it for was like $7.  The recipe also called for liquid castile soap.  I have never even heard of that.  So on Amazon I saw it for like $13.  Is it really worth it?  Does anyone have any good recipes?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wifeairforce
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM
I make glass cleaner with a vinegar water mix. Works great cheap to make.
mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I use vinegar, water, baking soda and coke to clean..

Coke for the toilet

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

oh and Coke as in the beverage :)

Adams_Rib
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

This is what I use too. 

Quoting wifeairforce:

SweetLuci
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Vinegar and water is much cheaper.

shymomof4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Just vinegar and water?  I will try it.  How much of each do you use?  This is the recipe I have. 

• 3 cups water
  • 2 Tbsp. rubbing alcohol
  • ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
  • 5 drops lavender essential oil (optional, for scent)
  • ½ Tbsp. liquid castile soap

Quoting wifeairforce:

shymomof4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have never heard of cleaning with coke.  Do you just pour some in the toilet and then clean it with a toilet brush?

Quoting mamivon2:

I use vinegar, water, baking soda and coke to clean..

Coke for the toilet

powow65
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I heard peroxide is the best & safe to use around pets & kids.
Gl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Make glass cleaner by diluting vinegar with water in a spray bottle. :)

The recipes prices ARE accurate, because you're using 15 cents worth of the oil (or whatever).  You have to buy all that stuff up front, but per batch it works out to whatever they say. It's a little misleading.

Now if you buy Dr Bronners (one brand of Castile soap that I happen to LOVE) you can buy it already scented (I love the peppermint one) and use it for TONS of things. I wash my face with it, you can use it for laundry soap, you can make body wash with it. It's totally worth buying, but only if you're going to use it for several things. If you're just buying castile soap and essential oils for this ONE thing, don't do it, it's not worth it.

Vinegar OTOH is DIRT ass cheap and you can do tons of things with it. Borax too. Really look around. The oil is to make it smell pretty, if you don't care about that (I don't) skip it.

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I bought my lavender oil from a local farmer..I paid 10.00 for it..I havent tried the glass cleaner, but I make our laundry soap...I batch lasts us about a month and a half..I have 4 kids left at home, then theres Brian and I...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)