Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids tennis shoes

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 22 Replies

why the heck are they so much?!!  for the most part children's clothing is cheaper than adults as are most of their shoes; sandals, dress, casual.  but not tennis shoes!  my daughter is very rough on her shoes & wears them out before she outgrows them.  we have to get her at least one pair of tennis shoes every year.  doesn't matter if they are cheap off brands or brand name.  we've been tennis shoe shopping for her the last few weeks & i was amazed that kids tennis shoes (at least for her size, 5 1/2) are as much as adults; $50, $75, even $124.  it's even hard to find clearance shoes for a decent price.  the cheapest we've found was $36 & those were an "off brand" i've never heard of that didn't seem made too well.  for shoes they may outgrow in a year!!  that's insane!!  i just picked her up two new pairs of converse on clearance at target for under $20 each.  so i can't rationalize paying more for cheaply made shoes.  i've gotten cheaper tennis shoes for myself & i won't outgrow mine in a year.  the last pair i got & were nikes.  got them for $25.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I go to payless shoe source or walmart and find shoes when they are on sale, plus get a second hand pair for play

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

that's where i always go for my little guy.  the payless by me never has tennis shoes for her size, they'll have converse style shoes but no "real tennis" shoes.  she loves her converses but for gym class she prefers athletic shoes.  & the walmart by me doesn't carry her size.  the kids shoes always stop at 4 & the adults start at 7 which are too big for her.  same for stores like tj maxx, ross.  if they have tennis shoes, which isn't often, we can't find any in her size.

Quoting othermom:

I go to payless shoe source or walmart and find shoes when they are on sale, plus get a second hand pair for play

wandep
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We get ours from Academy Sports Authority. They are pretty reasonable and seem to last a long time. They have a great selection of really cute shoes for girls too. 

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I go to walmart and can get them shoes for around $12 or less

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM

i see ads for them on occasion in the paper but there isn't one close to me.  not sure if a 45min drive, one way, would be worth the savings.

Quoting wandep:

We get ours from Academy Sports Authority. They are pretty reasonable and seem to last a long time. They have a great selection of really cute shoes for girls too. 

wandep
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Their prices I saw range from $20 - $50 or higher....I think we spent at least $30 on each child. They have great backpacks too. We were in backpack over load as to how many they had. LOL Every where we turned!

Quoting lizzig:

i see ads for them on occasion in the paper but there isn't one close to me.  not sure if a 45min drive, one way, would be worth the savings.

Quoting wandep:

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I have the same issue some times. My 7 year old wears a size 4-5 in older girls shoes, my son who is 10 is in a 7 in mens already. It can get tough. Maybe check out JC Penneys online, they have good sales sometimes and sometimes you can find coupons as well.

Quoting lizzig:

that's where i always go for my little guy.  the payless by me never has tennis shoes for her size, they'll have converse style shoes but no "real tennis" shoes.  she loves her converses but for gym class she prefers athletic shoes.  & the walmart by me doesn't carry her size.  the kids shoes always stop at 4 & the adults start at 7 which are too big for her.  same for stores like tj maxx, ross.  if they have tennis shoes, which isn't often, we can't find any in her size.

Quoting othermom:

SweetLuci
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

51/2 is an adult size, even though she is still a child. You're lucky she can wear them a year. Good luck in your hunt for inexpensive ones.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

perhaps in some places but around me they have 5-5 1/2 in kids & most adults start at 6.  i have a friend that's tiny & wears a size 5, she has a hard time finding "grown-up" shoes in stores around us in that size so she orders most of her shoes.  my daughter can wear some 6's, in some styles, but again not paying $50+ for them.

Quoting SweetLuci:

51/2 is an adult size, even though she is still a child. You're lucky she can wear them a year. Good luck in your hunt for inexpensive ones.

ashleymosq
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yeah I have been looking at shoes a lot lately too for my oldest. She needs new shoes for school. Her brand that she likes is Sketchers... Those things are crazy priced.. I am hoping I can get lucky like I did last year and find some on sale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)