Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you call some one "family"?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 23 Replies
My "mother side family" was 'shadey' at first (even when I was living with my aunt, last year she passed away from stupid lung cancer. Ps, I can say "stupid lung cancer" b/c she DID stop smoking, had both her lungs 1/2 removed than went RIGHT BACK ON THE CIGARETTES & no didn't stop her! Cancer came & bite her on the butt!)
After my aunt died, EVERY ONE just became meaner & meaner.

(back to the topic) last week I saw my cousin from my aunt side family (7aunts & 1uncle) & he talked & catch up in life & how after my aunt (who raised me & my brother) passed away, everyone became worst!
My cousin went to prison for 4years b/c he protected his mom from her abusive BF but turned around & press charges on her own son (cold I know!)
So both me & my cousin have no one *frowns* for family, I only have my dad, (birth mother is a drunk).
So my dad offered my cousin a job (to help clean & work on my belated grandmom's house. Ps, grandmom sadly was a hoarder. EEEEKKKKK!!!)
So yesterday my dad went to see my cousin & my cousin called my dad "uncle" (huh?!)
I guess having any family is better than no family.
(ps, cousin & I are both "black sheep" of the "mother side family". Awesome huh?!)

So my topic is, would you call "family" if they're not blood or marriage related?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

If I had a good relationship with them then I would call them family

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

my best friend is "my brother" & he is uncle to my kids & i am aunt to his daughter.

growing up i had an "auntie donna" who was no blood or marriage relation to me, just a good family friend. 

to the kids that grew up on my parents street my mom was either "auntie june" or "grandma june".

familiar titles, at least for our family are bestowed not only to those of blood & marriage relation but to those that are close to us.

family is not solely made up of those you share genetics with.  it's made up of those caring/loving individuals you choose to share your life with.

ZoeCY
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have always had an issue with this for some reason, but then again it may be because I have a huge family and most of them are great.  My SIL tried to have my niece call her Aunt for the longest time, drove us all crazy.  But in that situation I probably would?  I don't know though I even have a tough time calling anyone that married into the family after I can remember "aunt" or "uncle" although I suppose that works out as there was only one and he and my aunt are now divorced. 

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm super confused, but wouldn't your dad BE your cousin's uncle anyway? My cousins call my dad their uncle...

But I guess to the question, yes I do this, and so do most people I know. One of my really good friends calls my parents "mom and dad" it's totally normal to them. Some of my friends are considered aunts or uncles to my kids. My parents had a friend that we always called our Uncle.

ETA: The only thing that bothers me is when my MIL calls herself MY mom, you are NOT my mother lady.  And when she refers to MY kids as "Her girls" NO, they are MY girls, you are their mostly absentee grandparent that treats one of my kids like shit and makes no effort to have a relationship with them, be grateful I even refer to you as their grandmother... ergh.

angieluvsolivia
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We do.  We met a family when we first moved here 18 years ago.  Their kids and my sister and I all went to school together and our parents are best friends.  My kids call them Grandma Jan and Grandpa Denny.  I feel just as comfortable there as at my own house or even my family's home.  Since my family is all moving out of state, they will be my everything!  I love them to death!

powow65
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I wish there was love & happiness in my family (ok yes there are from my dad side family!)
Sadly none from "mother side family".

Quoting lizzig:

my best friend is "my brother" & he is uncle to my kids & i am aunt to his daughter.

growing up i had an "auntie donna" who was no blood or marriage relation to me, just a good family friend. 

to the kids that grew up on my parents street my mom was either "auntie june" or "grandma june".

familiar titles, at least for our family are bestowed not only to those of blood & marriage relation but to those that are close to us.

family is not solely made up of those you share genetics with.  it's made up of those caring/loving individuals you choose to share your life with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Your MIL sounds like my "birth mother" but also is a drunk.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I'm super confused, but wouldn't your dad BE your cousin's uncle anyway? My cousins call my dad their uncle...

But I guess to the question, yes I do this, and so do most people I know. One of my really good friends calls my parents "mom and dad" it's totally normal to them. Some of my friends are considered aunts or uncles to my kids. My parents had a friend that we always called our Uncle.

ETA: The only thing that bothers me is when my MIL calls herself MY mom, you are NOT my mother lady.  And when she refers to MY kids as "Her girls" NO, they are MY girls, you are their mostly absentee grandparent that treats one of my kids like shit and makes no effort to have a relationship with them, be grateful I even refer to you as their grandmother... ergh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Yes, my dh & I have good friends that our kids call uncle.
LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

We have a huge blood family. But we have plenty of family that isn't blood too. Some family you get to pick!

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Yes..My friend that I met in 1992 and 1994 are my sisters...Their kids are my neices and nephews...And we're now working on the greats...lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)