Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taco Bell dropping kids' meals, toys and proud of it

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

By Chris E. Hayner, Zap2It

Taco Bell is taking a big step, considering their competition in the fast food world. The company announced Monday (July 23) that they are discontinuing their line of kids' meals in restaurants.

The kids' meals options will begin disappearing from Taco Bells in select markets right away, with the goal of them being dropped in all U.S. restaurants by January 2014, the Associated Press reports. In a press release from Taco Bell, CEO Greg Creed says, "Pioneering this change on our menu is a bold move for our industry, and it makes sense for Taco Bell." While it might be a peculiar move for most fast food companies, it could make sense for Taco Bell.

The company continues to market themselves to young males who are looking to fill up on food for little money. There's also many groups who have called on fast food chains to stop marketing toward children because, well, it isn't good for you.

Still, it's no big deal for Taco Bell to drop their kids' menu. According to Creed, sales of the meals account for less than half a percent of the company's sales. With the growing popularity of options like the Doritos Tacos Locos, Taco Bell is definitely shifting toward a market that just doesn't include children. "We're trying to be this Millennial edgy brand, and having a kid's meal was inconsistent," Creed explains.

Even without kids to sell to, Taco Bell seems to be doing alright, after all they have more devoted fans than most other fast food places.

Photo/Video credit: Taco Bell
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

good its another fast food place that kids should not eat at its terrible for everyone !

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM
My kids get items off the regular menu there and always have. I love taco bell.
momofnatalie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

They are using this announcement to put them in a better light, since they were not making a lot of sales from it.

EbonySnow
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

makes sense to me I have never bought a kids meal there

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Not all bad :)

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

i never go there anyways.

suziejax
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

That last line was funny. " even with out kids to sell to" they will still sell to kids the same stuff just have to order it indidually. Thats so silly.

JoanahLee
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Right on!  On the occasion that we stop for fast food hold-over snacks it would be lovely to be able to order the most healthy option and combination of food orders that makes the most sense financially without having to fight with the kids about getting or not getting the damn happy meal.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yay!!!

mamadee1971
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I haven't ventured to TB in a couple of years.  I didn't even know they had a kid's menu, to be honest. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)