Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 of 6 (Maybe) Surprising Things You're Paying Too Much For

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

By Sarah Fernandez

Clothing

There's no debating it; you've got to wear clothes. Whether the kids have gone through a growth spurt or looking good and being on trend makes you more confident when you head out the door each morning, it's ok, and sometimes even necessary, to pick up a few new pieces of clothing each season. But if you are paying full price for any item of clothing, you are paying too much! Between discount clothing super-stores, flash sale web sites, and store-wide discounts available through email promotions, you can almost always get a deal on whatever clothing you like. Full-priced stores begin displaying seasonal clothes several months before you'll be ready to wear them and often put them on sale right at the time when you need them. And even if you don't want to buy pre-worn clothes, thrift stores and online shopping sites such as Ebay often feature items that still have the tags on them, and at significantly reduced prices.

Image: Associated Fabrication/Creative Commons

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Very true

momofnatalie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I agree

mamadee1971
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Yup, you're only paying for the names.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM

So true

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I get all of the clothes my kids and I wear for free. I "work" at a high end thrift store for trade.
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I usually look for good deals and sales, but if the kids need jeans they need them and I'm buying them end of discussion. I buy most of their clothes at Target anyway though.

I don't like thrift stores, I never find anything I would even consider wearing or having my kids wear at them. If there were a Once Upon a Child nearby maybe but Goodwill? YUCK, it's all gross clothing that wasn't even cool in the 80's.

critter_boo
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM
So true
Tigress22304
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

we have walmart/target/joyce leslie/dots around here but majority of the time we go to our local goodwill or thrift stores

Goodwill-I just spent $50 on summer stuff for DD9 and myself including $2 Tommy hilfiger shorts BRAND NEW still with tags!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM

oh i rarely pay full price for clothing, especially for the kids.  don't do much thrift store shopping anymore, don't find much at the ones around me but for the kids i hit the consignment stores & i always check out the clearance racks at stores first.

mackiebugsmom
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
my aunt actually works at a goodwill and the clothing is not gross or she won't put it out. she has found some very cute stuff there for herself and my cousin. my daughter who is 10 actually loves going to places like that, she always finds really cute shirts and loves it because she can get so many.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)