Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what point do you start trusting a neighbor?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 41 Replies

At what point do you feel like you can trust a neighbor you have either seen or just briefly met?  What has to occur that you feel comfortable letting the kids play together, asking them or letting them borrowing something, sharing something, asking a favor or even letting them drive your kids somewhere? Are there specific signs we should all be looking for that can help show trust?

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

We love our neighbors. I knew them from highschool. They are great people. We have been around them enough to trust them with our children.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

uh never LOL. i only trust close friends and relatives. even then you never know..

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I'm not sure there is a set in stone measure of this, especially since it's a fairly wide range of things that might happen in a neighbor relationship... I have let the neighbor kids come play in my yard, but my son doesn't play in theirs. I've let neighbors borrow small items, but haven't had to deal with anything big. And I sure wouldn't let the neighbors we know drive my kid anywhere.

I think the indicators for some of this stuff can be kind of shallow at first: keeping up your yard and the things you have outside, how I see you interact with your kids or spouse, etc. And then as more is shared, you get a better sense of what might be appropriate in this particular relationship.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

We know our neighbors for a very long time my dh grew up on this block that we moved in on and it's all the same people we know who we can and can't trust bc if that . It other than that I don't know you just have to feel them out 

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Years and a lot of observation first.
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

My kids are adults now...I've always had a really good sense about people. Some people I could tell on the first day. Others would take a little bit. Sometimes it wasn't about trust, but whether they were just a dufus.

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting MamaJane:

Years and a lot of observation first.

wifeairforce
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I can even talk to mine. Still learning German but they seem nice
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't even talk to my neighbors. 

Kimberly954
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My next door neighbors are sooo sweet to my kids. They will drop everything to watch them if I ever have issues. And I know they are safe and happy because my 3 year old, who has anxiety and screams when i leave her with anyone except my mom, even if i am close by, happily goes to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)