Smarter You: What’s Your Back To School Plan?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

Anyone else feel like when the kids go back to school, it's your time to start something too? I'm totally in that mode, thinking about last year, what I may need to do differently, what I may need to change-up to make Life's gears groove along a little smoother, what I want to get going for my mental health (and the kid's, too).  Here's what I have so far, they read a little like New Year's Resolutions for Mama's School Year....

-- Embrace meal planning. I written about the perks of meal planning since 2011, but have I really begun a good, steady habit of doing it? Nope. Nada. Uh-uh. Sure, when I order the groceries on the weekend for the week ahead, I think about what we will have, but do I get out the calendar and make a list? Again, we have a resounding N-O, ladies. Meal planning saves time, money and is a great way to introduce new foods and get out of that dinner rut. It's at the top of my list.

-- Get (and stay) stocked up. That means looking over what I have for school stuff, as well as bathroom needs, handiwipes, underwear, ponytail holders....you know, all the stuff that seems to run out at the same time, on days that you really need them. I'm stocking up now and am going to keep a master list going, right by the front door, to jot down when something starts running low...I will, I will this year.

-- Bump up the closet. I'm talking my wardrobe. It's woefully bland and lacking in many areas...and just not really "me." I need to figure out some good, go-to outfits that a) don't look totally schlumpy (such a great word!) and b) can be used for everyday or a fun night out. How will I do this? By just doing it. I'm sometimes paralyzed by choice, so I just need to take the plunge (and look for sales).  

-- Work in my "me time". I haven't been good at this since Kiddo was born. Working in at least an hour a few times a week for me. These days, I'm going to have to devote those hours to my health. After a bout with back woes, getting in shape and working on some core muscles are a must, which means making time to do that. How? Not sure yet, but I'm thinking it will having something to do with better time management. Maybe with errands, maybe with work...but I do know setting a specific time and following through will be essential.

What are you planning for the new season, for back-to-school time?

©iStockphoto.com/ Mstay

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Once my oldest is back in school I plan to start working so that's my something new this season. Kind of nervous about it.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

DD will be starting homeshool this year.  I already have my supplies but need to create a formal plan.

powow65
by kimmy on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM

baby steps.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM

getting more sleep.  I work nights so sleep is few and far between for me since I still balance the finances, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, etc.  I plan on sleeping as soon as I get home from work since lately I stay up until I pick up my youngest from pre-school.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Declutter the house and work out.. maybe I can combine these two

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

i am making a menu of lunches for my daughter, I refuse to pay for school lunches that are horrid and not eaten by her.

aside from that I have not plans lol

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this

not to take offense, since i am a school lunch lady, but how do you know the school lunches are horrid?  have you tried them?  being a vegetarian i don't eat many of our lunch items but there are several i do eat & at least at our school, options are much healthier then they used to be.

also from working in the cafeteria for the last 5 years i know that no matter what the kids buy or pack, much of the lunch isn't eaten simple for time reasons.  lunch time starts when the kids leave the classroom not when they enter the lunch room.  add into that time conversing with friends & a 20min lunch break is really only 5-10min of eating.

Quoting yvonne37:

i am making a menu of lunches for my daughter, I refuse to pay for school lunches that are horrid and not eaten by her.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM

well back to school for the kids means back to school for me since i work at their school.  while i'm hoping for a less hectic year of running i'm planning on one that is just as hectic if not more so than last year! ;o)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my God you are so right about the time frame.. It is too little time for them to eat and not to mention the get distracted with their friends too.

I have nothing against your line of work, actually I think your staff has always been underestimated and I appreciate what the lunch ladies do here in my daughter's school (and everywhere) but the lunch that is served, although the system is trying to bring in more healthier choices, has a long way to go. At my children's schools (public) they serve pizza, pasta, chicken, veggies, grilled cheese.. etc.. but they buy them pre-made from a company, they dont have a working kitchen at the schools... so they just heat it up (when it needs heating), unwrapped and served :/  I have been at my daughter's lunch time and seen the food, the sandwiches are soggy and served with white bread (we eat wheat), the pizza is usually cold and hard, the veggies tasteless... oh and they sometimes get chicken nuggets which are made out of something I cant even spell, not chicken.

So I rather give my kids food made at home, which I try to make as healthy as possible. My son eats everything I give him, and what he dosent he gives away to his close friends (some dont like the school lunch and are always looking at his lunch, sadly) and my daughter (she is 7) brings back what she does not eat and this way I know how much she ate.  She is also allergic to peanuts, so I am a little bit nervous about what she eats in school.

Quoting lizzig:

not to take offense, since i am a school lunch lady, but how do you know the school lunches are horrid?  have you tried them?  being a vegetarian i don't eat many of our lunch items but there are several i do eat & at least at our school, options are much healthier then they used to be.

also from working in the cafeteria for the last 5 years i know that no matter what the kids buy or pack, much of the lunch isn't eaten simple for time reasons.  lunch time starts when the kids leave the classroom not when they enter the lunch room.  add into that time conversing with friends & a 20min lunch break is really only 5-10min of eating.

Quoting yvonne37:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I think I'm going to volunteer at my dd's school this year, I took last year off but I think I'm going to get back in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: