Group Home

Smarter Celebration: DIY Cards

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Everyone loves getting mail, especially, I think, a really nice, thoughtful Thank You note or an invitation to something fun. And everyone can go to a card store or stationary store and pick up some stock cards to mail out. One thing that makes mail really special, though, is if it's homemade. Not only will you save yourself lots of money making some cards yourself, but you'll have fun doing it and you'll be sending a really special, unwritten message too: That you REALLY care about this person and your message to them, and that you put some of your creativity and time into their mail. How great it that? And don't worry; you can MAKE cards as quickly as you can go buy them, if not faster. You can even make a whole bunch at once, so you have them for the future, too. Even better, you can make them with you kids as a super fun family art project that people will especially enjoy receiving, and you can make boxes or bundles of cards as gifts as well.

All you need to start is some paper, which you can cut into creative shapes like circles, hearts, stars, flowers, fish, or anything you want, or just keep in standard card shape. Paper can be plain white or in any multitude of colors. In fact, you can even just buy a pad full of pretty patterned paper at any store with a large craft or kids department, and cut that paper into shapes and THAT's your card right there. It really can be that simple. Whatever you do, make sure get envelopes to fit the size of the cards you want send.

Once you have your paper and envelopes, you can decorate them in so many cool, fast and fun ways, either on your own or with your kids. Some ideas are to use simple ink stamps, or make potato stamps. You can use watercolor to paint the paper. You can use felt or ribbon bits to make stripes or patterns, with glue. You can use other pieces of cut paper for a simple collage look, like a red heart on a white paper. So easy! You can use photos. You can use finger paint. You can recycle items like old playing cards or newspaper or magazine pages to cut out fun words or letters and just write THANK YOU or HELLO or LOVE or whatever you want, like the person's name, in collage. You can use pressed flowers or confetti or other standard craft items that you sprinkle and glue on.

You could spend 3 minutes or 30 minutes, but either way, have fun with it and don't sweat the details. Whatever you do, it will be far more unique, heartfelt, surprising, personal, and special than ANY card from a store.

Do you have any ideas for making your own cards?

© iStockphoto.com/Kasiam

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I just received a homemade thank you card in the mail from a friend that had a little owl on it that said "who thanks you?  I do!"  It was super cute.

SammiBaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I've made some homemade cards nothing too cutesy though. As long as it shows that a good amount of time and effort went into it most people will appreciate that itself.

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I'm not a crafty person.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:32 AM

i tried to get my daughter into making fancy cards but she never got into it.  she just prefers to make a simple card with no embellishments, just a simple greating & a few drawings.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My step-daughter does it and loves it. I tried it, but to me it's way too expensive, the way she does it. I've done this with the kids in scouts, and they enjoyed it.

wandep
by Pam on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I'm not crafty so have never made any. LOL

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think homemade cards are the best! I love when my children make me them. I think I will make some cards with a cute little note on it for our family members with the kids sometime this week.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I've made some cards...I have put it aside due to not having a cricut yet..
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

we've just used computer paper and kids decorate lol

susham
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM
yes,there are various ways to make cards at home.lest the above one more way is we can use leaves and dried petals of flowers,we can also use the pictures of old cards,small bits of papers for collage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80