Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school lunch prices

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM
  • 19 Replies

i've seen several moms comment on cm that they pack their children's lunches because school lunches cost too much.  i was just curious as to how much your schools lunches are.

our lunch costs $2.20.  paying that every day does add up but it is less than any kids meal you'd get at a restaurant & depending on what you are packing in your child's lunches it may even be cheaper than a bagged lunch.  i know one child last year had a lunchable in his lunch box every day, plus additional food.  there is no way that cost less than $2.20 yet his mom complained about the price of school lunches.

breakfast is $1.05.  again, yes it adds up if you buy it daily but it's hard to go anywhere & get your child breakfast for that amount & for those that are rushing around in the morning & can't manage to eat at home paying $1.05 at school for breakfast is much cheaper the alternative, going without breakfast.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:03 AM
I'm not sure what hours are this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adams_Rib
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Ours was about the same. Packing is a lot cheaper for us. 

Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

We are only in kindergarten this year so half days for us so no lunch just a snack that has to be sent in with them. That's really cheap though !! The only issue I have with buying lunch is the amount of time spent on line they don't get enough time to eat my friend is a teacher in school ds will be in she says almost all the kids y lunch bc it's cheaper and easier for the parents so she said the lines are so long kids get almost no time to eat .

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

that can be an issue, some of that though could be dealt with by better lunch time planning by the admin.  when i first started working in the cafeteria 5 years ago we had that same issue.  the vice principal worked on the schedule & now it's spaced enough so we don't have long lines of kids.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

We are only in kindergarten this year so half days for us so no lunch just a snack that has to be sent in with them. That's really cheap though !! The only issue I have with buying lunch is the amount of time spent on line they don't get enough time to eat my friend is a teacher in school ds will be in she says almost all the kids y lunch bc it's cheaper and easier for the parents so she said the lines are so long kids get almost no time to eat .

childofgod04
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I don't know the prices because my son is too young for school still but when I was in high school our lunch prices were around $3. I had reduced lunch due to being a lower income family so only paid $1.50. 

Luvmybooskies
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

This will be the first year my DD is having lunch at school, so I'm not too sure of the price. I think it two dollars and some change.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM

wow!  that's high!  where did you live? here our reduced lunches for all grades is $.40.

Quoting childofgod04:

I don't know the prices because my son is too young for school still but when I was in high school our lunch prices were around $3. I had reduced lunch due to being a lower income family so only paid $1.50. 

SouthernMamaof1
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

An elementary lunch is $1.60, middle and high school is $1.85.  Breakfast is .75 for all.

ETA:  reduced lunch is .40 and reduced breakfast is .30.

Teaching~"Once you master the art of facing a room full of teenagers, and come out alive, you can do ANYTHING."

sunshinepraying
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I can't recall ATM, but either way, packing a lunch is a lot cheaper for us ;)
Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

That's what I said to her too but they haven't changed anything so if it stays the same he will be bringing his lunch I don't want him to wait a long time and then have to rush eating his food and get a stomach ache.

Quoting lizzig:

that can be an issue, some of that though could be dealt with by better lunch time planning by the admin.  when i first started working in the cafeteria 5 years ago we had that same issue.  the vice principal worked on the schedule & now it's spaced enough so we don't have long lines of kids.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)