Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

children & cruises

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 AM
  • 19 Replies

my daughter & i watched a show the other day about disney cruises & now she has her mind set on going on a cruise.  i'd love to go to, a short one, wouldn't want a week long or anything, i've never done such & i'm always up for trying something new.  so we decided to start saving up now so we could go in a year or so.

my question for you cruising mamas.  what age is a good age for little ones?  i've heard people say that while many cruises are family friendly they really aren't geared for little ones.  even disney cruises are better suited for those over 8, apparently many of the kids activities are for 8+ (that's what i've heard from a few who have gone on them).

my little guy will be 6 on friday :o( & since we won't be doing the cruise for at least a year & a half or so he'll be a bit older when we go.  i was just curious as to what ages you think are best for cruising kids.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We took our boys on a Disney Cruise when they were 8 and 6 (actually our youngest celebrated his 6th b-day there).  I HIGHLY recommend it!  I can't say enough good things!  The staff was amazing the food was great, it was the best trip we have ever been on. I would do it a hundred times over again!  The kids club is so great and our kids had a BLAST and didn't want to leave.  I think your child is at the perfect age...old enough to remember and young enough to still enjoy Disney characters!

Oh and our cruise was 4 nights...1st day at sea, 2nd day at Atlantis, 3rd day at Castaway Key, 4 day we came back.  It was 3 years ago so those days might be out of order, I can't remember, but those were the places we stopped.

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I've never done a cruise with kids.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM

thanks!

Quoting HappyGirl77:

We took our boys on a Disney Cruise when they were 8 and 6 (actually our youngest celebrated his 6th b-day there).  I HIGHLY recommend it!  I can't say enough good things!  The staff was amazing the food was great, it was the best trip we have ever been on. I would do it a hundred times over again!  The kids club is so great and our kids had a BLAST and didn't want to leave.  I think your child is at the perfect age...old enough to remember and young enough to still enjoy Disney characters!

Oh and our cruise was 4 nights...1st day at sea, 2nd day at Atlantis, 3rd day at Castaway Key, 4 day we came back.  It was 3 years ago so those days might be out of order, I can't remember, but those were the places we stopped.

wandep
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on the Disney cruise. We're surprising the kiddos in March of 2014 for a 4 day Disney cruise! I am super excited!!! This will be our first family cruise. Hubby and I went on carnival on our honeymoon for 3 days. 3 days I hear is not long enough on the Disney cruise. That is why we decided to go on the 4 days. They have great clubs for the kids....they wear id bracelets and you have a phone that you can carry around to keep tabs on them. My kids will be 8 and 10 years old. 

wandep
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Oh..also check out disboards.com and find DCL that will help out a bunch in planning things. They have Fish extenders group and door decorating with magnets. I'm getting my ready now. :) I also want to make us all matching t-shirts with some type of disney theme to them. One for boarding picture and one for the pirate party they have at night. :) Can't wait like I said!! LOL

wandep
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Oh and your kids should be the perfect age for the cruise!

cowgirls10181
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM
We went to mexico, it was fun dd was 13 months! They had a day care, and each age group had a speciL play area, along with speciL areas for the older kids.
MichelleK41
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM

We don't do cruises here but it sounds like fun. =)

EbonySnow
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

nothing could get me on a cruise

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

sounds like hubby.  he has no interest in vast amounts of open sea surrounding him.  he also has a fear of heights so it's only driving trips for him.

Quoting EbonySnow:

nothing could get me on a cruise

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)