• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Consignment stores are so frustrating lol

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

I took two bins of clothing and toys to a consignment store today to sell.  Of course they picked the best of the best (bonnie baby, baby gap, etc) but passed on lots of stuff that was Gymboree, Osh Kosh, etc.

They took about 1/5th of what I brought in but I did get $25, which is better than nothing.

The frustrating part is lugging all that stuff back home and deciding what to do with it!

What do you do with your kids outgrown stuff?

Sell it online? Garage sale? Pass it on to a friend? Donate? Keep storing it?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSarah1104
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I have massive amounts to get rid of just sitting around I'm about ready to just toss it all lol. I keep meaning to donate it though lol
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM

i know what you mean.  though what ever they don't take i take down the street to the foster support center & donate it to them. 

i get frustrated at the ones by me thought because they always say we can't take this because it's like this or we can't take that for this reason yet some of the clothes on the racks are way more worn than the stuff i take them.  i picked up my daughter two pairs of pants a few weeks ago from the consignment store.  she decided after i washed them she didn't like them & thusly never wore them.  they were part of the items i took in today & they turned them away.  when i pointed out i just got them from the store a couple weeks ago & they are in the exact condition i bought them the girl just looked at me dumb founded.

Bradensmommy719
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I kept it and then started passing it on to friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Same thing happened to me. I actually make the most off of halloween costumes. I sell the rest for a quarter each at our garage sale or donate them to someone who needs them.
charlene_kyle
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

we always have a yard sale.

MamaJane
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM
It's been years but I still get upset when thinking about the one time I went to once upon a children's tried to sell back things. Now I just donate. I don't need the frustration or to fund their business. I'd rather give them away.
wandep
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I either...give to friends who need it or take it to the consignment shop. Our consignment shop tho sells the stuff first then gives us the money they made from it. I forget what percentage but it is better there than the other place here in town where they give you the money before hand. The first consignment shop I mentioned takes 15 pieces and then you can come back the next day to give them more. It works out pretty good. I need to take some up there next week.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Agree
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I either give it to someone else,have a garage sale or sale online

powow65
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Garage sale than what's left over just donate to a thrifty store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)