Smarter You: Quick Mani Pedi Tips

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

When it's hot out, it's so nice to wear open-toes shoes like sandals or flip-flops, all the time. And personally, since I'm not the type who goes to salons often, I always wish my nails looked better in summer. So I asked around and got some great tips for how to do my own manicures and pedicures quickly, at home. Just something to add some fresh pop and color to my nails, and clean them up without an expensive or time-consuming trip to a nail salon. Here's the plan:

First, remove any old polish, and file and clip any uneven nails. (You can skip smoothing them with a buffer, if you are in a rush. No one will see the difference). Have a small bowl with warm soapy water ready, and a towel. Soaking your hands and feet helps to soften the nails really fast, and feels and smells great too. For your feet, if you have tough skin and an extra 5 minutes, it's great to smooth out any rough spots even further with a pumice brush or some exfoliating scrub. I love the sea salt varieties, which remind me of beach days. Next, push back any cuticles that will be in the way of your polish and apply a moisturizer that you like.

Now the fun part: picking you colors! In summer, it's fun and hip to go with something bold, bright, and happy. Try something new for a fresh look, like sunflower yellow or plum purple, or pool blue. Colors that are inspired by the season are always "in". Next time you go to the drug store, buy a few colors you would like to try out, so that you have a bunch of exciting choices at home. Some great places to shop online for nail products are kmart.com, macys.com, tenoverten.com, narscosmetics.com, and dermstore.com.

When painting your nails, apply a base coat of polish, then one more coat for rich, even and full color. Then make SURE they dry all the way. When I'm in a real rush, I use a blow dryer for a few minutes to speed things up. Finally, it was recommended that you take the time to add a top-coat; it will keep you manicure looking shiny and protect you from chips.

Do you have any quick mani pedi tips? Please share!

© iStockphoto.com/Moncherie  

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I do most of  these,
Thanks for sharing :)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Good tips!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

No mention of a clear base coat? That makes a big difference. Especially if wearing bright colors, so it doesn't stain nails.

bhwrn1
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS! I don't have any tips. I'm lucky if it ever gets done!

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I usually leave my cuticle alone.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My toenails are in really rought shape... I am letting them go without polish for a week or two to see if that helps them out. Maybe I will try soaking and buffing, too. TFS!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what I do! I like the blow dryer idea though!

Mznaye
by Jo on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Tfs
sunshinepraying
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Good tips. Don't really have any to add. But having my nails done does make me feel good ;)

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Nope. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: