Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Make the Most of Summer Sales

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

I can't believe it's already August, and summer is slipping away so fast. Everyone is talking about getting ready to go back to school soon, and stores are desperate to get rid of the last of their seasonal summer items RIGHT NOW. Even if you don't need any more summer gear now, though, you can still take advantage of all the great discounts by thinking and planning ahead, and save yourself bundles of time and money.

1) Think about any kids, nieces, nephews, spouses, friends and such whose birthdays are during warm months, and buy them something that will fit them at their next birthday now.

2) Think about any trips you might take to warmer places, during the "off" seasons. Maybe you hope to visit a grandparent near a beach, or take a family vacation to Disney or have a wedding to attend next winter somewhere hot? When that time comes, the stores won't have warm-weather gear so shop now and save a bundle, and be prepared well ahead of the trip!

3) Think about sports equipment and outdoor activity gear, picnic gear or even camping gear, which are sold seasonally. All sorts of items like beach towels, inflatable toys and sand toys, even sunscreen and bug spray will also be much harder to find when all the summer merchandise is off the shelves. Check expiration dates on sunscreen and stock up while it's all cheaper now.

4) Think about household items like gardening tools, grilling tools, table linens, patio chair cushions or coolers that you might need to replace soon in your home, or could buy as gifts. They will all be off the shelves soon too, to make room for holiday items, and now is the time you will save the most on them in stores, but still have a decent selection available.

How do you think ahead when shopping at sales?

© iStockphoto.com/Devonyu

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I don't.... think ahead that is. I'm a minimalist, having piles of crap every where that I MIGHT use next year would drive me absolutely insane.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I always shop clearance is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I buy toys on clearance for gifts, and clothing for the next season. I already have bins of off season clothing in my son's closet, so adding a few new things to that is no big deal.
mackiebugsmom
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I love to shop ahead :)
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We took advantage of the no sales tax weekend.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Shop clearance.
momma-flynn
by Greta on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM
We always shop the sales & stock up on things. We love in a warm climate so we can take advantage the end of season sales.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I dont think ahead..I used to then my kids skipped sizes...
alliesmom112
by Sandy on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

These are great tips 

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I just like to shop lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)