Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Color Your World

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Adding color to your life, in my opinion, is always a great thing. You can change the whole feel of a room by painting one wall, or all the walls, in a new color. You can change your entire look by trying a new hair color, too. Colors create feelings, and drive emotions and make statements. Whether you are looking to revamp your own look for one special event, or for the next season, or whether you are tired of the way your bedroom or dining room feels, or just thinking about shopping for your kids next wardrobe needs as they grow, here are some of the things to keep in mind when choosing colors, and considering how they change things and affect moods in different ways:

BLUES: Blues are generally considered calming, soothing colors. Personally, they always remind me of water and sky, two of my favorite things to look at, so I love them. A deep navy blue can also work similarly to black, in terms of great sliming and flattering qualities as clothing. A pool or turquoise blue, which is much more bright, like a sky blue, adds a beautiful pop of color to any room, or look. (It's been my daughter's favorite color since age 1, and was my grandma's too, so I'm a bit biased here!)

REDS and ORANGES: These bright, vibrant, warm colors scream LIFE! And LOVE! And HEAT! They bring energy and joy and warmth wherever and whenever they are used. If you are trying to add new energy and joy to any part of your life, you cannot go wrong using red or orange colors. (I might add that peach and apricot colors, soft shades of orange, tend to be the colors that compliment all skin and hair tones equally well, I have read).

YELLOWS AND GOLDS: These colors remind most people of sunshine, and happiness. In fact, I know someone who suffers from depression and therefore chose yellow as the primary color in their new home, and it looks great, and makes them feel happy too. If you want to add a glowing feeling, or more light, or cheerfulness to your home or your wardrobe, you can't go wrong with yellows and golds.

GREENS: Green is so lush and beautiful, but it can be a bit of a tricky color, because many shades have a dullness or darkness to them you might not expect, when used to paint walls or as décor or clothing. Splashes of bright greens can definitely add new life to any look though, especially if it's in a pattern reminiscent of leaves or nature. You can also just add a pop of color to your home or terrace or patio with GREEN potted plants, or a fresh bouquet of flowers. Those, of course, are vibrant and beautiful and full of life always, and will enhance any space instantly.

Which colors make you happiest, and which do you tend to use the most?

© iStockphoto.com/maryo990  

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

pink makes me happy and some blues

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Pink and purple

wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Today at 9:39 AM
by Pam on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My favorite colors are pink and purple. Our home is more of a netural color. lol

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

hunter or emerald green and red or burgundy.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Black is my favorite I have been drawn to it my whole life and it is the first thing I see when I walk into a room
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm very much into cool colors, and most rooms in our house are painted something on the blue/green/purple spectrum. We've done most rooms over the past year, too, so I hope we won't have much painting to do this winter.
fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Greens. I love them. 

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I love blues right now. It does tend to make me feel relaxed.

Mznaye
by Jo on Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Bright colors are my favorite
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

oranges and purple makes me happy =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN