Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: The Backpack Basics

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

The instructions from Kiddo were clear and quite detailed: comfortable, not too big, with side pockets, and (wait for it) leopard print. Yes, this was her response to my question: "What kind of backpack do you want this year?" And to be honest, it's the third year in a row she's requested leopard print.  

How about your kids? What have they chosen as their carryalls? Basic, solid color? Perhaps peace signs or Star Wars icons? It is the one thing they will use every day, so, well, yeah, it needs to be one they like but, beyond that, it needs to be one that is healthy for them. I rounded up some backpack info to read before your kids strap them on their backs this school year.

-- How heavy is too heavy? The American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons says the backpack should weigh no more than 15%-20% of your kid's weight. So, a 50-pound second grader should only be carrying 7 to 10 pounds, and a 100-pound ninth grader should carry 20 pounds at most. In the third week of school, weigh your kid's backpack on the bathroom scale and see how much they are carrying.

-- It's not permanent back damage you should be worried about. Doctors say heavy backpacks won't cause scoliosis, but it can cause back and neck pain. The main issue of concern: falling or tripping due to an overloaded backpack, which can mean a broken wrist or leg.

-- Remind your kids to use their lockers and their arms. When your kids get to school, be sure they dump what they don't need until later in their lockers to minizme hours and hours of too-heavy wear. Also, have them carry a few books in their arms.  

-- Double it up and make it thick. I'm talking straps. It's cool to wear backpacks with only one strap over a shoulder, but that really puts a strain on your child's back. Two straps with thick padding even out the weight and prevent the straps from digging into her shoulders.

What kind of backpack does your kiddo want this year? Do you ever weigh your kids' backpacks?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ morganl 

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

They use to have something similar :)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM

My dd picked another One Direction backpack this year.  She's only starting 1st grade this year, so her backpack isn't heavy yet.

shymomof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM

My 6th grader picked a pink and black zebra print book bag.  My 4th grader picked a generic pink and gray one.  My 2nd graders got a pink one with a puppy wearing a tiara on the front.  My son hasn't picked one yet.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:34 AM

She wants one that's comfortable. No lockers, so she has to carry everything around all day.

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 4:55 AM
ds1 is reusing his ny giants backpack

ds2 picked a batman backpack
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM

My kids have LL Bean backpacks. They last forever and if they get damaged, they are guaranteed for life, so we just take them back and get them replaced.

1hotmama87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM

DS chose a Perry the Platypus back pack this year, he is only in 2nd grade so his back pack doesn't get too heavy yet.

mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM

My kids carry Jansport backpacks, or ADIDAS backpacks, they got a say in the color and nothing else. Those stupid character backpacks fall apart and don't have padded straps. I only buy high quality backpacks with a lifetime warranty.

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM

My youngest is starting her 1st year of school this year.  We haven't gotten her backpack, yet.  DS has used the same backpack since preK3.

Gabbysmom615
by Kira on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

my dd has 3 backpacks lol shes rotten 1 hello kitty one from the childrens place and one minnie mouse

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN