Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Your Back to School Personal Pep Rally

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

I know, the title has you wondering, huh? You've been thinking back-to-school shopping and planning and carpooling, but a back-to-school pep rally? Hear me out, friends.

Not just reserved for football games, we have a pep rally in our home for various things: to celebrate finishing a big homework project, to pump up the volume on doing some physical therapy exercises, to get rid of some bad mood juju. You name it, we have a pep rally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not waving pom-poms or doing the splits (have I ever been able to do the splits?)...it's more like just focusing some fun, positive attention on a situation, no matter what that situation may be.

Up for us: back-to-school time. Kiddo is definitely ready for school to start. She's excited, but also a little nervous even though we still have a few weeks to go (we start after Labor Day here in NYC). I know many of you will be trekking to the bus stop sooner rather than later. Want to know a few tips for a back to school pep rally?

-- Have a special dinner. Make your kids' favorite meal and their must-have dessert, but fancy it up a notch. Eat in the dining room if you always eat in the kitchen. Light the candles, break out the china. Why not celebrate the new school year in style?

-- Plan a day when you do some fall cleaning and sorting, but make it a party. Pop popcorn, put on some fun tunes. Find where the winter gloves are, put all of the coats and scarfs within reach in the closet, but wear them around the house first or havea fashion show. Find the Halloween supplies and other fall decorations, and chat about what you will be dressing up as this year. Looking forward to fun fall activities gives a boost to everyone's mood.

-- Make some posters to hang on the doors and your kids' walls. Inspiring quotes can be a great reminder and perfect way to buoy spirits for those first days and weeks of the new year. Put them in the bathroom or the entry way where they drop their backpacks. Switch them up, and make a few of them funny.

-- Make a back-to-school playlist. I am a firm believer in how music can affect the mood. Discover some jazzy new bands to get your kids motivated during homework time or wake-up time or to play in the car on the ride to school.

How do you get your family pepped up for going back to school or other things? Have you ever been able to do the splits?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ WilleeCole

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mereinhart28
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really have to get them pepped up. My kiddos LOVE going back to school. I guess when we start the back to school shopping is when they really start to get excited. 

Great tips! 

rosiemarie
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Fall is my favorite season.....do you really start to take out your fall and Halloween decor now? If so I'm joining. I thought about but thought people would think I was nuts!!

Love your suggestions.

I to have me own pep rally. It happens on the first day of school! Lmao

Quoting HeatherNYC:

I know, the title has you wondering, huh? You've been thinking back-to-school shopping and planning and carpooling, but a back-to-school pep rally? Hear me out, friends.

Not just reserved for football games, we have a pep rally in our home for various things: to celebrate finishing a big homework project, to pump up the volume on doing some physical therapy exercises, to get rid of some bad mood juju. You name it, we have a pep rally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not waving pom-poms or doing the splits (have I ever been able to do the splits?)...it's more like just focusing some fun, positive attention on a situation, no matter what that situation may be.

Up for us: back-to-school time. Kiddo is definitely ready for school to start. She's excited, but also a little nervous even though we still have a few weeks to go (we start after Labor Day here in NYC). I know many of you will be trekking to the bus stop sooner rather than later. Want to know a few tips for a back to school pep rally?

-- Have a special dinner. Make your kids' favorite meal and their must-have dessert, but fancy it up a notch. Eat in the dining room if you always eat in the kitchen. Light the candles, break out the china. Why not celebrate the new school year in style?

-- Plan a day when you do some fall cleaning and sorting, but make it a party. Pop popcorn, put on some fun tunes. Find where the winter gloves are, put all of the coats and scarfs within reach in the closet, but wear them around the house first or havea fashion show. Find the Halloween supplies and other fall decorations, and chat about what you will be dressing up as this year. Looking forward to fun fall activities gives a boost to everyone's mood.

-- Make some posters to hang on the doors and your kids' walls. Inspiring quotes can be a great reminder and perfect way to buoy spirits for those first days and weeks of the new year. Put them in the bathroom or the entry way where they drop their backpacks. Switch them up, and make a few of them funny.

-- Make a back-to-school playlist. I am a firm believer in how music can affect the mood. Discover some jazzy new bands to get your kids motivated during homework time or wake-up time or to play in the car on the ride to school.

How do you get your family pepped up for going back to school or other things? Have you ever been able to do the splits?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ WilleeCole

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Friday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We get excited by going back to school shopping. :) We did that last week. Our school doesn't start till August 19 tho. Last year I had the back to school fairy show up and left litlte gifts and decorations on the first day of school too. :) The kids loved it.

Oh yeah we also made  a cake and had our favorites for dinner the night before.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
This is our first year for going back to school... I think we'll definitely do a special dinner. :-)
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM

We get excited when we shop for school supplies...or at least I do....and seeing Fall items hitting the shelves.

2lilmamas
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM
She gets excited shopping for new clothes and supplies. She always looks foward to school.
powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM
That sounds awesome! Maybe I'll let her buy a special pen or pencil for school!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

no splits here ..lol .. but football is our back to school prepper !

Jillysmom
by Adele on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

We try to go out for a special dinner the day before school starts or the first day

sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Great tips! Thankfully, my son is excited to go. We did received a count down thing for Kindergarten though. And each day on the count down, you open another door to see what is hidden inside. It's very cute. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN