Smarter Celebration: Let's Celebrate Summer While We Still Can!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

OK, there's no escaping it any more: Summer is officially slipping by too quickly, as usual. But the great news is that even if you have not had a great summer yet, or enjoyed any fun and relaxing time off with your family, summer is still here for a little while longer. Certainly, it's here for long enough to celebrate still. So how can you celebrate the season without any hastle, and take a day to really really enjoy yourself with your friends and family? Easily!

First, just pick a day. Check your calendar and either find a day that's open or just MAKE a free day by clearing your schedule. Next, make a quick shopping list: include some of your family's favorite summer foods, and things you can enjoy making together (s'mores anyone? Watermelon popcycles or popped corn? Grilled burgers or fish or pizza or pie? A fresh, easy fruit salad or dinner salad of seasonal veggies?) But be sure to still make it easy on yourself, this is summer, after all: buy pre-made family favorites or snacks, too, and don't be afraid to indulge a little. Get some sprinkles and cones for your ice cream, or party decorations or fresh flowers for the table. What's a celebration without a little something special, right?

Next, pick some fun and simple games you can all enjoy together. For example, you can get a tarp or tape together large trash bags, turn on your hose, and you've got a slip n' slide! You can make water balloons and hang them as piñatas. Or, have your kids help you come up with a great playlist and play some musical chairs, outdoors. If you have a sandbox, you can have a dribble castle contest. Or, have a splash contest. You can collect rocks and setup a rock painting station. You can give the kids nets and jars with holes in the lids, and have a bug catching contest. You can get glow sticks and have a moonlight dance party.

All it takes is some initiative, some simple planning and a bit of effort to pull together a seasonal celebration of any kind. And is it just me, or isn't summer DEFINITELY something worth celebrating, while you still can?

Do you have any summer celebration ideas?

© iStockphoto.com/lissart

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Having lunch on the beach.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM

cutting the grass

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
We're getting ready to go on one last camping trip for the season.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Great ideas..I for 1 am glad summer is almost over...But greatful its blackberry time...We like to play badmitton and volleyball...
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We make a big barbeque with our family and play music, have games, make a fire and have Smore's. It's a back to school thing!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Going to the beach.

momkaribg
by Kari on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Im ready for fall myself lol

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I'm ready for fall....I saw a post on FB where it is only 40 days away. YAY! :)

farraway08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

A picnic lunch @ Stone Mountain and The Lazer Show

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

There are lots of parties going on by our vacation home.  We'll just participate =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: