Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Pick Your Own Fruity Family Fun

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

I used to always think of fall as the time to pick your own fruits and veggies, like apples or pumpkins. Since becoming a mom, (to a total plant and animal lover,) I have discovered that there is so much a fun a family can have at a "pick your own" farm, not just in the fall but almost more so right now, at the height of summer, when SO much is growing everywhere. Here are some tips and ideas I have "picked" up recently that I wanted to share with you:

1) Look at what's in season now at your famers markets and ask around where you can pick your own. Many farmers don't have the funds to advertise, but they do allow visitors and pickers. What's more, you'll be able to enjoy a super fun day collecting food AND checking out the places where they grow, and all the cute farm animals that live there too. My kid's favorites are goats and sheep, though if there is one with a pony ride that's even more exciting of course.

2) Come prepared to carry the things you are picking, properly. For instance, if you are picking delicate things like blackberries or blueberries, which are ripe now where we live, bring many small containers with you so you only put a little fruit in each one, and don't smush those delicate ripe berries before you even get home. One large bag is NOT a good idea here. If you are picking stone fruits, which are also ripe here now, like peaches, nectarines or plums, bring a TRAY. It sounds weird, but they will bruise quickly in a bag or bucket, and one bruised stone fruit mold really fast in the heat and ruin the rest of the bushel quickly too.

3) Bring your sunscreen, bug spray to protect against ticks and stings, and a sunhat. Farms may not be by the seaside, usually, but you can burn just as fast working in a field as you can surfing waves on a beach day, or floating in a swimming pool. And they sure are full of bees!

4) If you pick a whole lot more than you can eat right away, there are many creative and delicious ways to keep that fresh fruit from spoiling, and enjoying it with your family for months to come. My favorite ways to do so are to make simple jam or fruit preserves by boiling the washed fruit with just a little sugar, water and a squeeze of lemon, and jarring for fall and winter. Or, if I don't have jars, I bake muffins, cupcakes, or fruit breads and freeze them. You can defrost them just by taking them out the night before you want to eat them, and they can last a long time in your freezer until then. So you can enjoy "fresh picked" blueberry muffins, warmed in your oven, in the dead of winter with a hot cup of cocoa. Yum! 

5) Bring cash and either a map or a smartphone. Farms are in rural areas, (duh,) and that means they can be hard to find, and also far from any bank or ATM. It would be shame to not be able to buy any fresh fruit once you have picked it!

Do you ever go pick your own fruit at farms?

© iStockphoto.com/stockstudioX

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 7:09 AM

we've done apples. We may do it this year. It's been a while.

chillemi78
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I have apples for the last couple years. I would like to pick some other fruits too, but since my baby just turned a year in July, I will wait another year or two before we do a family trip for picking.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM

We picked wild blueberries once and the kids had fun

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Hard to find those type places here in the part of Florida that we live. I wish we had more of them. :(

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Yes! We do strawberries and apples every year, some years we do blueberries, and we also pick wild blackberries.
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Strawberries & blueberries.  We have our own pear trees but the deer eat most of them, which I do not mind at all.  Having 3 buck in your yard is pretty darn cool!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

we have done apples once...

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

would be nice to do it again with something else

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Apples and pumpkins 

EbonySnow
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I can't find any around here sadly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN