Group Home

Smarter You: Who Needs a Mama Memory Boost?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

It's been happening more and more -- I am mid-sentence with the kiddo, who is doing homework, and I walk into the kitchen to get something, but as I stand there looking at the pot of pasta bubbling on the stove, I cannot remember what it is I needed to fetch. It's like I'm in a bad sitcom as I utter to myself "What did I need again?" and Kiddo reminds me. Imagine me hitting my forehead with my hand ala "I wish I had a V-8."

The memory zapping culprits are many: lack of sleep, perpetual state of multitasking, age, dehydration as I wasn't drinking enough liquids due to the perpetual state of multitasking...yes, the list is long. From forgetting the name of one of her 143 stuffed kitties that I know I used to know to blanking on that last thing I needed at the supermarket (but failed to write down), I'm in need of a little memory muscle boost. What to do to get the brain busting with good synapses again? Here are three things the gurus say will help:

-- Eat, sleep and be healthy.  Exercising and getting enough sleep is essential, for, well, everything from gorgeous skin to battling depression. It also is key to increase your memory. Another healthy habit to try: add some extra antioxidants (hello, blueberries!) and omega 3s to that diet.

-- Do the usual differently. Do you always drive a certain way to school? Stretch your brain and take an alternate route for a week. Always brush your teeth with your right hand? Switch it up and increase that memory.

-- When you really need to remember something, add a crazy thing to it. You have to remember to bring the cupcakes to the bake sale later? Put when you bundle them up, stomp your foot or shake your booty or say "Yabba Dabba Dooooo!" really loud. This action will help to solidify the must-remember thing in your mind.

Does your memory need a boost? Share any memory-boosting tips you have!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ AnsonLu

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I think eating healthy, staying fit through exercise, getting enough sleep and keeping my mind active by learning new things all help.

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I had lots of memory issues last weekend.  For me, it was due to being rushed.  I forgot to take several things to our vacation home.  Thankfully, we were just there for the weekend, so I could do without my mouth guard and book. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I've also heard that regularly doing puzzles like sudoku or crosswords can help stretch your mind and memory.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Great tips..Thanks for sharing...
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Oh my gosh! My memory is terrible lately too!! Ugh. Some good tips though! Thank you.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I've heard this too!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I've also heard that regularly doing puzzles like sudoku or crosswords can help stretch your mind and memory.

wandep
by Pam on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

yup. vitamins!!

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I know I'm not alone now!

But I'm under so much stress, I blame that.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yes I do, I don't have any tips

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie