Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Get A Better Night’s Sleep

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

Sleep is so important, for busy parents and for growing kids. I'm sure you have heard this before, but it's when children are sleeping that their bodies actually grow, and I don't know much, but I do know that I have a kid who barely slept for her first 2 years, and also was really tiny, so it appears to be true, to me. I'm sure no matter what size our kids are, all moms out there would love to know how they can start sleeping better, and helping their kids sleep better too. Here are some tips I've dug up from my 2 sleepless years of research:

1) Exercise! Tiring your bodies out helps them relax, strangely. I even see it in my puppy: when she's had a full day of fun and running around, she sleeps like a baby (or like a baby should sleep!)

2) Wind down before bed: create a simple, easy routine for yourselves that can involve brushing teeth and washing up, singing a song or listening to music, reading books or just talking about your favorite parts of the day together before going to sleep. Thinking calming thoughts, hearing soothing music and talking quietly about pleasant memories can help calm your minds and relax you all around, so you all sleep better. (Ghost stories, chaos and loud or active play right before bed are best avoided).

3) Unplug: Apparently, it's best to have at least 60-90 minutes "screen free" before bed, so turn off those TV's and video games and other electronic readers and devices to get the best sleep you can.

4) Don't eat or drink (other than water) at least 2 hours before bed. Your metabolism has to work to digest and process foods or caffeinated, alcoholic or sugary drinks, and therefore cannot sleep as well. Try changing your mealtime and / or bedtime schedules a bit so that you have time to fully digest before going to sleep.

5) Invest in rest: Because sleep is so important, it's not a bad idea to invest in your own rest and health by splurging on a seriously comfortable bed, and making sure your pillows, sheets and blankets are the right thickness and softness for your optimal temperature and comfort. We got a really comfortable mattress years ago and it instantly changed how much sleep we got (so much more) and how well we sleep (so much better, until our kid was born, ha!)

What has helped you sleep better?

© iStockphoto.com/shironosov

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Pam on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Last night I was up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep. :( Going to be dragging today.

I have a sound machine app on my phone that I use to help me fall asleep. Usually takes a good hour of it going to help me.

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Silly but a beer bottle.
Alcohol (small amount) can make me so to sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting about the snacks... I love a late night snack, but it does take me a while to fall asleep. Maybe I need to reconsider.

fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I could sleep perfectly is my 20 month old didn't get up so much during the night! 

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for sharing...
Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I sleep great once I go to bed.  The problem, is I stay up too late.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

nothing i am in the process i figuring this one oue we just ordered a new bed and got new pillows so maybe this will help !

Jillysmom
by Adele on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had sleep issues for years. I am going to try this as I hate taking sleep aides every night

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Excercising really  helps me. I run several times a week. I also use a white noise machine, it's wonderful!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

still searching! ;o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN