Smarter Style: Summer to Fall Wardrobe Tricks

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

I know, I know, right at this moment you are wearing shorts and a tank top and that title up there is totally messing with your end-of-summer relaxing time. The last thing you want to think about is fall fashion. But ladies, the info I have for you will help you save some money. Expand your fall wardrobe with things you already have... yes, those pieces you've been wearing all summer can still be used well into the Halloween season. Think layering, think unconventional match-ups. Here's a handy how-to for inspiration. 

White jeans -- No need to relegate the white jeans to the back of the closet until next Memorial Day. Keep using them into the cooler months, just with a different top. Add a cozy turtleneck sweater and ballet flats and you're all set to head to the movies or to the PTA meeting.

Bright print dress -- You know that dress, the one that seems really "summery" with the bright colors and patterns. Maybe it has short sleeves, perhaps it's sleeveless. Use it as a fun pop of color during the gray skies of October by keeping the rest neutral. Pair it with some charcoal gray tights, boots and a long black cardigan.

Maxi dress -- Take your warm-weather maxi dress and put a long lean sweater over it - voila! - you are rocking a long, lean flowy look. I'd put on some boots with a chunky heel to really make it casual and hip.

Sailor-striped tee shirt -- That nautical look doesn't have to sail away with the warmer temps. Use it as a base layer with jeans and then add one of fall's main trends -- a military-inspired jacket or a moto cardigan. The fun stripes combined with the edgier topper creates a whole outfit that is tres chic.

What fall trends are you eyeing lately? How do you recycle pieces in your closet year-round?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Mattjeacock

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I have no idea about trends. I use the same clothing I had the year before! LOL!

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't follow any of these trends. I embrace the whole handknit multi-layered thing in the fall. I live amongst the sheep and alpaca farms so it is very fashionable here.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I really like to use my summer dresses way into fall, I use them with a tshirt under and a sweater on top, leggings and my boots.  I have seen young girls use their shorts with leggings under during fall, but I am too old to rock that lol.. I will see what else I can come up with :)

Juniper53098
by June on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I wear my clothes all year round, if it will work with the weather.  No, I don't wear tanks or shorts in winter, but any of my pants can be worn year round, as can my short sleeve tops.  But, I do need to go shopping for fall clothes.  I am now a much smaller size than I was at this time last year.

wandep
feeling happy :)
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by Pam on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Well put! LOL I usually wear the same jeans and t-shirts during the fall that I wore in the summer.

Quoting bhwrn1:

I have no idea about trends. I use the same clothing I had the year before! LOL!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Here I'm in sweatpants and sweatshirts in the mornings...I usually wear the same clothes year round...I dont have to keep up with the Jonses, it's really freeing...I guess we're more relaxed out west...lol...
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I wear what I have

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I don't really follow trends LOL I'm lame like that. I just wear what a I like at any time of the year

momma-flynn
by Greta on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I wear my clothes all year round. We don't have much of a winter here so it's easy to make things work.
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

hoodies and sweaters and jeans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?