Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: Back To School Bash

Posted by   + Show Post

Because it's just about time to start pulling together all the lose ends of summer, and gearing up for the new school year ahead, there's no better time to throw a super easy, breezy, fun and informal Back to School Bash for your kids.

All you need to do is contact a few moms of kids in your hood, or school friends from previous years, and pick a place to throw the party. It could be a local beach or field or park, or your own home. Either way, make sure to have the focus be just a fun day with friends, to regroup before school starts. Don't worry about the details too much! Once you have the location, get a bunch of refreshing beverages, some ice, sunscreen and easy snacks like crackers and fruit for everyone to share. You can bring bagels with cream cheese or pizza if you want to offer something more substantial.

Then pick a few team-building games to propose. Thinking in a team-spirit way will help your kids get more excited to go back to school, and be part of a larger classroom group and institution again. Some great team-building games are the egg on a spoon race, potato sack race, water balloon toss, hide and seek the treasure, or a scavenger hunt in teams. You can also do simple contests like which team can build the tallest tower with blocks, without knocking them over. Or which team can balance a book longer on their heads, or bounce a ball on a racket, or dribble. Relay races or simple obstacle courses are always fun for kids, too. For little ones, try games like Red Light Green Light, Duck Duck Goose, Limbo or Twister.

Party favors are totally optional and NOT necessary but if you want to make it an even more memorable day, and give the kids a little something to take home with them, I think that items like basic craft supplies reminiscent of school would be a nice idea, or small notepads, folders, pens, pencils, erasers or shiny red apples. A brown paper bag would be a simple, cute and appropriate way to hand these out too! The kis can even enjoy decorating their own at the party.

What ideas do you have for throwing a fun, simple back to school bash?

© iStockphoto.com/ Sadeugra

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mznaye
by Jo on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quoting bhwrn1:

I have no idea. Never heard of this before!

EbonySnow
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM

yea people won't even bring their kids to my daughters birthday party so I doubt they'd do this.

powow65
by kimmy on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Get DD a special outfit (for the 1st day outfit.)
Make her feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM

We're going to have one today at the house. We'll be barbequing in the yard. I thought of the limbo, a water balloon fight, getting a slip n slide, having a contest with the hula hoops and we want to make smore's. It's going to be fun!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

i've never thought of doing such.  i'm already throwing a bash or two around the time school starts, my son's birthday is right before school starts & my daughter's is right after.

fun idea though, especially if you get together with neighbors & make it a neighborhood party.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

nice idea

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM
What a fun idea!
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

a make your own sundae bar

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I don't do them, so I have no clue what you would even do for a Back to School Bash.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Good idea 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN