Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Family Time 101

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

We had a plan of 30 things to do in August...I have a thing for alliteration so we naturally titled it "August Adventures." On it, everything from visiting the big cats at the Bronx Zoo to watching the sunset from our apartment building's roof deck to making cookies for the doormen. It's full of basic stuff, ripe for good ol' family time.

The thing is, it's easier to do during the summertime, to have this family time. When cooler weather creeps in, school starts up, work seems to get busier, and there's just more stuff going on, from dance class to homework to the school picnic. How to carve out time for you family to connect?

-- Make it double duty. Combine that family time with something else you need to do. Think going on a hike or walk together (which also gets everyone in the family moving and soaking in some good fresh air) or making dinner as a family (great fun for the kids and teach them some good kitchen skills or create a game to surf a cool recipe app and make something new).

-- Plan ahead and clear time. If you usually spend family time on Sundays, why end it with all of the back-to school/work prep Sunday night? Instead, get your own planning for the week jobs or quiz studying or other jobs done on Friday. 

-- Read together. This is simple and also boosts those cognitive skills of the kiddos. Maybe tackle a series like Harry Potter or read some classic Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Snuggle on the couch and have everyone take turns reading or just alternate Mom and Dad as the reader.

-- Keep it simple. Your family time doesn't have to be epic or involve an all-day outing. Just heading to the ice cream place on a random Tuesday night or playing a board game on Saturday morning is enough to keep connections strong.

How do you squeeze that important family time into your hectic schedule? What's your favorite family time activity?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ nineeak

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Love these ideas :)

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
We love to do active things together like walks, bike rides, hiking, snowshoeing, skiing... I'm hoping we can keep that up with DS in school full time.
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM
great ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Dinner is big for our family time.We always eat together.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We run as a family. Did seven mes last weekend. Kids in rhe double jogger and DH pushes it. I even have some kids music on my playlist.
wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

We have taken up walking as a family after dinner.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Awesome!

Quoting ablackdolphin:

We run as a family. Did seven mes last weekend. Kids in rhe double jogger and DH pushes it. I even have some kids music on my playlist.

fraujones
by Amanda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

We take long family walks together. It's so peaceful and fun. 

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We sit at the dinner table and discuss the day..We take walks and pick up sticks and rocks and pinecones..We'll eventually make fairy houses out of the sticks..We play games,read,cook and bake..We'll sit and watch movies..For us family time isn't something you "squeeze" in..It's to be savored..My husband came to that reality years ago when Briana and Katie were little..He used to work 7 days a week..One day he said he couldn't do it anymore..One day his girls were babies, now they are in training bras and he's not missing out on anymore..And we spend every second we can with our girls..Now Briana and Katie are adults and when they visit, we savor every second still... 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

family time?  heck all i ever have is family time!  i need to work on squeezing in "me time"! ;o)  this is my 6th year working at my children's school so for the last 5 years (my daughter went to a different school for k) i've pretty much been with my kids 24/7.  we go to school together & come home together.  

but seriously, even with their after school activities i don't have a hard time "squeezing" family time in.  of course for the most part "family time" is just the kids & i.  my husband manages a small restaurant & works about 70hrs+ a week, often getting home just in time to tuck the kids in for bed during the week.  with him we do have to sqeeze family time in on the weekends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN