Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chances of carjacking and car theft in Houston, especially Dowling & Ardmore?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm considering moving to Houston to restart my life. Being that all I'll have to take is my purse, one set of jeans and a set of interview cloths, and my car. I will be needing to stay at Star of Hope shelter, that is located on Ardmore St. and Dowling St.

I hear that that carjacking and car theft really presides here. I'm definitely will be careful, but should I really be scared beyond being careful?

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Replies (11-18):
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting aneela:

question for you...what are some of the nicer suburbs around Houston ?

Quoting mamadee1971:

I live in Houston

I live on the southside of Houston (my old childhood home), but there are some really nice 'burbs along the South Sam Houston Tollway, I had a friend who lived in the Copperfield/Bear Creek area (far northwest Houston).  Now, these are the areas that I've travelled through, being a former Taxi Cab Driver...far southwest Houston, Atascosita (far northeast Harris County), Pearland (Brazoria County), Sugarland (Fort Bend County), River Oaks (inside the Houston 610 loop...I call it the "rich 'burbs in the 'urbs". lol),The Woodlands is really nice, Spring Branch is nice.  There are a lot more really nice 'burbs, in and around Houston and also outside of Harris County, but it depends on what you're looking for. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

wow you def know the place for sure...I might have to hit you up on the PM sometime to chat more..thanks so much for getting back to me!! :)

Quoting mamadee1971:

Quoting aneela:

question for you...what are some of the nicer suburbs around Houston ?

Quoting mamadee1971:

I live in Houston

I live on the southside of Houston (my old childhood home), but there are some really nice 'burbs along the South Sam Houston Tollway, I had a friend who lived in the Copperfield/Bear Creek area (far northwest Houston).  Now, these are the areas that I've travelled through, being a former Taxi Cab Driver...far southwest Houston, Atascosita (far northeast Harris County), Pearland (Brazoria County), Sugarland (Fort Bend County), River Oaks (inside the Houston 610 loop...I call it the "rich 'burbs in the 'urbs". lol),The Woodlands is really nice, Spring Branch is nice.  There are a lot more really nice 'burbs, in and around Houston and also outside of Harris County, but it depends on what you're looking for. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry no idea.Hope it all works out for you

WeirdScience
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Quoting mamadee1971:

I live in Houston, but I don't live in that area.  Now, I have worked one week, in security, at that location.  It's not far from the Texas Medical Center and there's a gas station and a Shipley's donut shop, next to the shelter.  The city bus (METRO) is right across the street, but grocery stores aren't that far, once you get familiar with where you're going. 

Now, as for car thefts and jackings (and other crimes), they're everywhere, but if you're not paying attention to your surroundings (ie. playing on your smart phones or whatever) then that leaves you vulnerable.  Don't flash around your jewelry, smart phones, wallets, etc.  If you drive at night or have to drive at night, keep your doors locks, pay attention to your surroundings, and have your cell phone ready for emergencies.  I'm not trying to scare you, but just be cautious of your surroundings.

Now, what decided your move to Houston?

Thank you very much

My sister lives in Houston. I really want to become employed there, and get some corporate exposure. Secretly, I'm frustrated that my sister won't allow for me to move in with her. I'm also frightened that I maybe turned because of the over-crowding. If anything, I don't know if I really want to set myself in Houston in a transitional state with a nicer car. The car is practically my home, and means a lot to me.

I'm also considering Lincoln, NE. I'm doing research.

Again, Thank you incredibly for your helpful response <3 :-)
littlecolton07
by Rebecca on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not the greatest area but like anywhere, always be aware of your surroundings. Keep on mind that ALOT of people use SOH and it is very hard to get into from what I understand. They usually give priority to people with children though. Will your child/children be with you? Good luck. I have lived in Houston pretty much my whole life so feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a link for other places on temporary residence... http://www.hrc.hctx.net/TransitionalAptsWomenChildrenAlpha.htm

And a link to register as a job seeker, in Houston... http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

I wish you good luck where ever you decide to move and hope everything will work in your favor.smile mini

Quoting WeirdScience:

Quoting mamadee1971:

I live in Houston, but I don't live in that area.  Now, I have worked one week, in security, at that location.  It's not far from the Texas Medical Center and there's a gas station and a Shipley's donut shop, next to the shelter.  The city bus (METRO) is right across the street, but grocery stores aren't that far, once you get familiar with where you're going. 

Now, as for car thefts and jackings (and other crimes), they're everywhere, but if you're not paying attention to your surroundings (ie. playing on your smart phones or whatever) then that leaves you vulnerable.  Don't flash around your jewelry, smart phones, wallets, etc.  If you drive at night or have to drive at night, keep your doors locks, pay attention to your surroundings, and have your cell phone ready for emergencies.  I'm not trying to scare you, but just be cautious of your surroundings.

Now, what decided your move to Houston?

Thank you very much

My sister lives in Houston. I really want to become employed there, and get some corporate exposure. Secretly, I'm frustrated that my sister won't allow for me to move in with her. I'm also frightened that I maybe turned because of the over-crowding. If anything, I don't know if I really want to set myself in Houston in a transitional state with a nicer car. The car is practically my home, and means a lot to me.

I'm also considering Lincoln, NE. I'm doing research.

Again, Thank you incredibly for your helpful response <3 :-)

WeirdScience
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Quoting littlecolton07:

It's not the greatest area but like anywhere, always be aware of your surroundings. Keep on mind that ALOT of people use SOH and it is very hard to get into from what I understand. They usually give priority to people with children though. Will your child/children be with you? Good luck. I have lived in Houston pretty much my whole life so feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Thank you for your response.

I suspect that overcrowding was an issue. And, my main fear is being rejected, if not just my safety. I'm doing my research about Lincoln, NE. My daughter is in college, so I'm just alone.

Thanks again :-)
WeirdScience
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Quoting mamadee1971:

Thank you :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN