Ds1 has multiple savings bonds in his name. He knows where they are and what they are for and how they work. He has one bond that his grandfather got him for xmas in 2007 for $200. It is an I bond and is now worth about $270. He asked me if I would cash it for him so he can buy new school clothes and shoes. Should I let him cash it? it is his money and he is not asking to cash the more expensive bonds that he has but Im not sure if its a good enough reason. He has clothes dont get me wrong but he has become much more aware of his appearance and apparently he thinks what he has is too young looking for middle school. *sigh* it was so much easier when he didnt care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Replies (21-25):
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I would let him. I have a ten year old. If she wanted "better" or more expensive clothes for school, I would let her spend her money. It's not like he's asking you to break your bank for better clothes and he's not asking you for a video game or something.it's actually pretty responsible and mature of him.
MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I wouldn't personally. If it were me, I would try to buy him clothes that he likes with whatever money I planned on spending for back to school.

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM
If it were me I would only because I know bonds are going to be worthless and they really don't gain much value over time anymore like they use to.
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

he is 10

Quoting mrswillie:

How old is he? I would not let him.

No way! That is too young to be buying his own clothes, buy more so it would not be teaching him anything about responsible decission making. I assumed he was older when you asked. My ds's grandmother boght him one every year from the time he was little. When he was 16, most were matured and he used them for a car.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

NO! Save it for college!! Let it earn interest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: